A question of oil equivalency
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A question of oil equivalency

I'm in the middle of setting up a new-to-me OmniTurn GT-75, and am in need of oil for the inline oiler for the Dunham pneumatic collet closer.

The manual calls for Mobil DTE Light, of which I have determined that none and nothing equivalent is available locally, in anything less than five-gallon pails. I have no idea how quickly it will use up what the little glass bowl holds, but I suspect a quart will last me a good long time.

I looked on Dunham's site, and nearly zero lubrication information was available.

Before I order a quart or so online (which, with the inevitable hazmat, will likely cost about $65) could I perhaps just use a 32 weight hydraulic oil? 30 weight motor oil? How crucial is it I use that exact type of oil?

Doc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't hesitate to put a quality ISO 32 hydraulic oil in there. They probably spec Mobile DTE Light because it's sort of an iconic industry standard, and most shops either have it or can get it easily.

3. Likes Pete Deal, BT Fabrication liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 on ISO 32 hydraulic oil. For all practical purposes DTE light is the same as ISO 32 hydraulic oil with an anti wear additive pack.

ISO 32 is a common viscosity for air tool oils too so hydraulic oil is fine if you use the few drops in the short whip end connection line every so often method. Maybe not so good if reservoir fed unless you have nice dry air. Hydraulic oil doesn't deal well with water contamination. Proper air tool oils have appropriate additives to deal with damp air.

As DTE Light is specified, which doesn't have water control additives, I presume your Dunham system has a good inline water separator to keep damp out of the oil. Gungy oil and pneumatic closers aren't a good mix.

Clive

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Every time I read a thread like this,I hear the boss calling out to Dyarl .Hey mix a up a 5 gallon pail of that there DTE LIGHT AND DONT FERGIT THEM ADITIVES. Edwin Dirnbeck

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Clive603 View Post
    +1 on ISO 32 hydraulic oil. For all practical purposes DTE light is the same as ISO 32 hydraulic oil with an anti wear additive pack.

ISO 32 is a common viscosity for air tool oils too so hydraulic oil is fine if you use the few drops in the short whip end connection line every so often method. Maybe not so good if reservoir fed unless you have nice dry air. Hydraulic oil doesn't deal well with water contamination. Proper air tool oils have appropriate additives to deal with damp air.

As DTE Light is specified, which doesn't have water control additives, I presume your Dunham system has a good inline water separator to keep damp out of the oil. Gungy oil and pneumatic closers aren't a good mix.

Clive
    water separator is critical and you need to make sure you bleed the reservoir regularly as well. Most machines should have that installed (newer ones)

I dunno why not just buy the DTE 5 gallon. Not that expensive. Is this not the same thing in 1 gallon? Amazon.com: Mobil DTE 24, Hydraulic, ISO 32, 1 gal. : Automotive

7. Likes BT Fabrication liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys.

Dry air shouldn't be an issue, the machine is connected very close to the end of a long manifolded air system. Two traps at the compressor end, several drop-legs to pass by, a good long stretch of pex-al-pex, and a water separator at the machine itself. Won't say moisture can't get through, but it'll be functionally dry by the time it gets there.

The first place I talked to locally about this, the fellow behind the counter, one of the older, knowledgeable types, said that DTE was a 'circulating' oil, and said it differed from a hydraulic oil in that it didn't have the anti-wear package.

We speculated why that might be a requirement, but neither of us knew enough about this specific application to be able to tell.

I dunno why not just buy the DTE 5 gallon.
    -Because five gallons was something like $150, and I suspect would be close to ten years' supply for this one machine.

Doc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Personally, I'd fill it with Dexron III ATF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, that's certainly a hydraulic oil, but I'd have to wonder about any friction modifiers...

Doc.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
    Thanks guys.

Dry air shouldn't be an issue, the machine is connected very close to the end of a long manifolded air system. Two traps at the compressor end, several drop-legs to pass by, a good long stretch of pex-al-pex, and a water separator at the machine itself. Won't say moisture can't get through, but it'll be functionally dry by the time it gets there.

The first place I talked to locally about this, the fellow behind the counter, one of the older, knowledgeable types, said that DTE was a 'circulating' oil, and said it differed from a hydraulic oil in that it didn't have the anti-wear package.

We speculated why that might be a requirement, but neither of us knew enough about this specific application to be able to tell.

-Because five gallons was something like $150, and I suspect would be close to ten years' supply for this one machine.

Doc.
    Can the machine builder give you any alternatives? Might be the best resource if you absolutely need a DTE Light alternative.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ya most is only stocked in 5 gal pails unless you get on amazon or something. just but the 5 gal, you will use it. its common for a bunch of other machine oil uses also.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doc -- I've had good luck in the past with this supplier for small quantities: Machine Shop Tools| Machine Accessories| Tooling Inserts

They have some available on eBay right now:

Mobil DTE24 Light Hydraulic oil (1 Gallon, 128 oz) | eBay

About $35 for the gallon. Shipping from Ohio for $15.
    Hope that helps.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would use genuine Mopar fluid. Anyone else see the oil ads?