What's new
What's new

Question: Reccomendations for an independent 4 jaw chuck?

fratskop

Plastic
Hi all,

I recently bought a Colchester mascot 1600 lathe. I bought it off an auction and it came from some farming company who only used it for woodturning (i know, WTF??:confused::confused:) it came equipped with a pneumatic chuck of some sort, wich i have no use for. i am looking for options as to wich chuck i should fit. i kind of prefer it to be an independent 4 jaw since it has way more use than a standard 3jaw (dailing in takes a bit longer but thats not an issue). I am looking for a 315mm (12 inch or so) or slightly bigger chuck because thats the size of the original chuck that is on these machines. also the original fitting is a D1-8 camlock so i'm looking for the same fitting as i don't want to bother with backplates. I have been scouting the web for some options but the problem is that my lathe can do 1600 rpm but all independent 4 jaw chucks i found (of the mentioned size) are cast iron bodies and can only do somewhere around 1200 rpm. so thats my question: do you guys know of any independent chucks of the mentioned size that can handle those rpm's? or should i just give up and stick with the regular 3 jaws?

I dont know if it was clear in my explanation but i plan to use it for general purposes, most of wich will be regular 'in center' turning, so i dont see why it would not be able to? of course i agree if youre a fair bit off center that you certainly will not be turning at those rpms, i just want to be able to use the full rpms when turnin normal parts

Pretty sure you need a smaller chuck to run at high speeds, or a steel body chuck $$$. My Standard Modern came with a 26" face plate, manuals specifies 800rpm max for it iirc, but I can run the chucks faster. Just because a lathe can do 1600 rpm does not mean you can run a chuck that speed, maybe that is only for collet work.

Pretty sure you need a smaller chuck to run at high speeds, or a steel body chuck $$$. My Standard Modern came with a 26" face plate, manuals specifies 800rpm max for it iirc, but I can run the chucks faster. Just because a lathe can do 1600 rpm does not mean you can run a chuck that speed, maybe that is only for collet work.

I thought i stated it clear enough that the original factory fitted chuck is a 315mm one? are you trying to tell me that colchester was like 'hey, let's fit this 1600rpm lathe with a wonky chuck that goes flying when using higher rpms, great idea!'

Well my Standard Modern came with a factory faceplate that cannot handle the top speed of the machine, so yes, maybe? I could fit a 26" chuck to the machine (probably weigh as much or more than the headstock), cannot imagine what scenario I'd run it at max speed. Are you sure the factory chuck was rated for that speed?

Hi,

I’ve got Harrison M450, Bison 250mm precision steel 3 jaw scroll chuck and Pratt burnerd 305mm 4 jaw independent cast iron chuck. I once tried that P&B over 800 rpm and that’s it - never again. They are not made for high speeds. No problems with the Bison though.

Well my Standard Modern came with a factory faceplate that cannot handle the top speed of the machine, so yes, maybe? I could fit a 26" chuck to the machine (probably weigh as much or more than the headstock), cannot imagine what scenario I'd run it at max speed. Are you sure the factory chuck was rated for that speed?

yes, they were factory fitted with specially commissioned pratt burnerd ductile iron chucks

Hi,

I’ve got Harrison M450, Bison 250mm precision steel 3 jaw scroll chuck and Pratt burnerd 305mm 4 jaw independent cast iron chuck. I once tried that P&B over 800 rpm and that’s it - never again. They are not made for high speeds. No problems with the Bison though.
thank you, this is the kind of reply im looking for. i guess its a long shot for such a big 4 jaw unless i manage to find a steel one

I thought i stated it clear enough that the original factory fitted chuck is a 315mm one? are you trying to tell me that colchester was like 'hey, let's fit this 1600rpm lathe with a wonky chuck that goes flying when using higher rpms, great idea!'

Wake up. Smell the cawfee.

It HAS a D1 snout so one can CHANGE nose-art, and even do so with the work still IN it, knowing it will return to near-as-dammit dead-nuts same position if you had to interrupt a task or carry it off to drill a hole at right-angles or the like.

I have three DIFFERENT nominal six-inch alone. HEAVY jaw & screws Yuasa, medium-width jaw SCA, skinny jaw Bison, forged steel.

ONE chuck alone is not making good use of your investment in the REST of a lathe.

Get you a stout large one, run it slow. Seldom as I NEED "big" my one for D1-3 is an 8" and not so great Chinese, but at least bought brand-new and undamaged.

Then a high-grade small one as can be run faster. Fill-in with a medium when you can do.

Nose art is not "religion", after all. You can have lots of variety to it, count yerself "well tooled" rather than some sort of heretic...

thats my point, why would i buy a chuck that cant handle the rpms i have available? thats like putting drum brakes on a ferrari

Bad comparison. Enzo put drum brakes on his cars for YEARS!

The DRIVERS - himself included, early days - were WISE ENOUGH to apply what they had to work with effectively.

What do you think you know two hundred years of earlier craftsmen somehow MISSED?

Respect the limits. Apply them wisely.

Run what yah got. But run it SMART!

:(

And "Oh, by the way?"

Two 10EE. One Cazeneuve HBX-360-BC... 3,000 RPM or better to-hand. WHEN appropriate, ELSE NOT. They can run slow really well, too. So can I.

Colchester and Ferrari comparison? Get f**king real!

Watcha got is closer to a 1950's Bedford bread, milk, eggs, sausage, cheese, and turnips small shops delivery van!

:)

Bad comparison. Enzo put drum brakes on his cars for YEARS!

:(
of course he used to because he was limited by the technology of the time, my point is that my lathe was standard fitted with a nice big chuck that obviously can handle the given rpms so you can use it to the fullest, because what would the point in giving the machine 1600 rpm if the chuck it came with cant handle it?

Two 10EE. One Cazeneuve HBX-360-BC... 3,000 RPM or better to-hand. WHEN appropriate, ELSE NOT.

this where you hit the nail on the head, when appropriate. im sorry if i pissed you off because im not trying to be a smart ass (on the contrary, i try to learn as much as possible) i just wanted a reccomendation for a chuck that can handle these rpms but of course when youre clamping a 300mm bar youre not gonna spin it at 1600. i just want to be able to make full use of my rpms, when appropriate.

of course he used to because he was limited by the technology of the time, my point is that my lathe was standard fitted with a nice big chuck that obviously can handle the given rpms so you can use it to the fullest, because what would the point in giving the machine 1600 rpm if the chuck it came with cant handle it?

Pity your one only has the one speed, and the only chuck it could ever have was welded-on tighter than your mind, then, is it? Helluva waste, that D1 snout?

I've run but two machines more-or-less built that way. Pre-1900 build dates, the both of them. An 8-foot Vertical Turning Lathe. A six-foot Horizontal Boring lathe, not "mill" .. with rack & pinion controlled advancing quill headstock, solid spindle, no through-bore.

And slowly. Very-damn. Given the diameter and SFM of the work? That WAS "to the fullest". Weren't MEANT to melt the tooling, after all. "Obviously".

But I have to admit failure at fixing "obviously" stupid.

thats my point, why would i buy a chuck that cant handle the rpms i have available? thats like putting drum brakes on a ferrari

How much actual time machining stuff on a lathe have you done?

I ask because your assumptions seem based on ignorance really.

My Colchester Chipmaster has a top speed of 3000 rpm. It also has a 10" diameter P-B 4 jaw chuck that's very nicely made.

Do you think I'd be insane enough to spin that chuck up to 3000 rpm just because the spindle speed goes that high?

PDW

Back