What's new
What's new

Question on Reeves type drive maintenance

Chrisw

Aluminum
I am doing some maintenance on an ExCellO 602 mill's variable speed drive. I am wondering what the general consensus is on sand blasting the pulley faces to break the glaze.

Thanks
Chris

If the faces need work, I would think more about taking very light truing cut. Most of the faces I have seen have become grooved from being in the same location too long. Other than that I wouldn't do anything. Is the transmission slipping?

Tom

That smooth polished surface reduces wear on the width of the belt. Just clean it.
The pressure from the spring and from the speed changer loads the belt to drive
the sheeves.
John

On mine I had to shim the bushing that slide up and down as it was quite loose besides that nothing. I don’t think it’s a good idea to sandblast it.

Chris, +1 to TDegenhart. Once you take the pulley halves apart (as you would have to for sandblasting without trapping grit), it's very easy to take a skim cut on most any lathe with enough compound travel to match the taper. Most old Reeves pulleys will have a bit of grooving, maybe even cupped faces, and the glaze you already see.

My own experience with sandblast surfaces is that you lose some contact area, so they don't really increase friction all that much. Your belt might spin and polish or re-glaze them fairly quickly. That said, I also don't think you'd destroy a belt beyond a bit of too-quick initial wear for the same reasons.

Okay people, it looks like it's unanimous. No sandblasting. I had also emailed Master Power Transmission at the same time I posted this question here......their reply was 'if sandblasting, the faces should be reground to avoid excessive belt wear'.

New belt, new key in the drive sheaves and new bearings in the motor should take care of everything.

Thanks to all
Chris

Back