What's new
What's new

Question on restoring old Doall bandsaw

DanBrub

Aluminum
Recently purchased an old Doall (model 16 S.F.P.) that I want to restore for use in home fab shop. I knew it had some issues and have now begun tear down. I’m hoping you folks have had some experience with these machines and can give me advice, etc.

For one, the transmission output shaft is pretty beat up. The key way is trashed 7B34170D-8687-455A-AE21-490B46B0B904.jpg and the bronze (I think it is bronze) bushing is worn. ( OD of shaft bushing rides on is 0.746” and ID of bushing is 0.768”). 8D3980C9-838A-4CA2-9477-90866E9E7AE9.jpg. I was planning on welding up the shaft and turning to dia then cutting new woodruff key. Is that ok or should I look for new shaft?

Why is the rear of the shaft with bronze bushing slotted? I don’t see where the slot mates to anything on the trans input shaft.

Next, the driven band wheel had a steel bushing pressed in and setscrewed to prevent rotation. It too was wore out. I pressed it out and the aluminum wheel hub looks good. Was this steel bushing originally there or did someone in the past bore the aluminum wheel and insert the steel bushing? F86E0249-EE4D-42FF-8CF4-2EC4082CC427.jpg

Are there anything’s I should know before I go any farther into this restoration? The Bakelite pulleys look ok...no big chunks missing

Thx in advance for any advice

Dan

I had an ML16 with the same aluminum wheel issue, but I can't remember if it was bushed or not. I bought a new wheel, I think it was about $250 in circa year 2001 dollars.

Back