What's new
What's new

Question for those that machine silicon bronze

crossthread

Titanium
I am not trying to machine this but rather need to know what to do with it. I inherited a 1000' spool of 1/2" silicon bronze cable that my dad bought to re-rig his sailboat. I inherited the sailboat and the cable when he passed away. My question is, for those of you who might machine this, does it have any great scrap value? I have heard it does not because it is hard to separate the ingredients that go into it. I don't think it would be of much value to a rigger because SS seems more widely used by far. Any ideas what to do with it (be nice)?

All About Silicon Bronze (Properties, Strength, and Uses)

Seems the alloy is around 94-96% copper, meaning that at worst you can call some recyclers and see what they'll offer for it. But as said above and in my link, it's got casting and decorative uses that may make it more valuable to sell as-is.

Or maybe you can get into sculpture yourself...>> :D

I was thinking it might be used as an electrical conductor in shipboard or harbor applications, but its fairly low electrical conductivity values make that less likely (about 12% of the "standard" copper). I just learned about how that standard came to be made, may be of interest to others too:

International Annealed Copper Standard - Wikipedia

If it were 1/2" solid round, it would have more machining and scrap value. As wire cable, it doesn't have much machining value, and it's harder to melt down without significant material losses.

Really, it's greatest value by far is going to be in the original market niche: corrosion-resistant rigging.

I would say it is worth the most in the use it is designed for. Maybe go to a marina that has higher end sailboats and see if they are interested in it or if they can give you better direction.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If it were 1/2" solid round, it would have more machining and scrap value. As wire cable, it doesn't have much machining value, and it's harder to melt down without significant material losses.

Really, it's greatest value by far is going to be in the original market niche: corrosion-resistant rigging.

Why would there be significant material losses ? Bronzes don't seem to burn out much when molten, unlike brass.

Ham radio guys might want it for antennas, though it is heavy for that at 1/2". Do you know the stranding, eg 7 x 7 or 7 x 19? It is good for brazing. Price it new and put it on Craigslist for 50%. Shame to melt it.

That's what I was thinking! I wonder what the strand diameter is - if it's anywhere like the standard brazing filler, it may be worth repurposing it in such capacity. It would be a bit crooked after unwinding, but TIG don't care! :D

how many feet is fifty dollars? I like playing with cable in art stuffs.

silicon bronze is worth more than brass scrap..

Thanks for all the replies. I don't know how many strands it is simply because I never counted them. I can say that it is a lot. Without counting I am going to guess fifteen or maybe even twenty. This cable is very flexible. I like the idea of trying to find a rigger who deals with older wooden boats. That's what it was used for originally. Thanks again.

Back