What's new
What's new

Questions about (older) DoAll Bandsaw models.

Miguels244

Diamond
I'm looking at a vertical bandsaw.
Seems the DoAll 26" is about right.
There are a few things I know I want, the weight power feed, would be nice.
Most important is high speed cutting.
Is there a way to know from model number which had the high range, or do you just need to inspect them.
I suppose it would also be nice to know how to recognize the slightly better ones.
Is older better for stiffness?
Is newer better for reliability?

Any other little things worth knowing?

If all you want is high speed cutting then you might want the "Zephyr" model. But if you want the full range of speeds you want one that ends in "3".... such as the 2613-3.... which means 3 speed transmission....that 3rd gear will get you to friction sawing speeds. The -3 models also tended to be their ultimate models where they threw in more options.

As to years, DoAll was at their peak in the mid 1960's to early 1970's..... the 2613-3 may be the finest vertical bandsaw ever made....certainly the most elaborate.. power everything...including the table tilt and blade post raise/lower.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/doall32.jpg

I happen to have at the plant a 2613-3 and lemme tell ya, i havent had the opportunity to find a more versatile piece of equipment, aside from a Marvel.

What to look for? Shoot, I couldnt say, aside from that I wish I have a good feed and a stronger motor on my DoAll at home. I am going to do some more research on this site to edumacate myself more, now :-)

Yea I'll jump in..................two Doall's in the shop

3612 and a Zephyr (3k thru 15k)

You said high speed cutting, meaning what?? ........

"just being able to push 1/4 " quickly thru the saw. or do you want to actually "friction" cut???

two completely different animals.

Most important is high speed cutting.

Get yourself a hard bound copy of Do All Contour Saws. Mine is from 1943. Most in there go from 50 to 1500 FPM

I expect later two speeds run up faster. My '73 3613 goes to 5500 with its three speed box - but will still chug along at 50 in low.

As to stiffness, they were pretty proud of them 71 years ago - referring to the 60" as Battleship construction and 36" as Locomotive strength

Fast enough for wood and plastic.
4000 fpm seems fairly common.

I would get a basic 36" two speed saw.
Very simple saw, can use it in a 16" or 36" throat configuration.

The two speed saw will run up to 5000 fpm.

I have never been in a Doall three speed trans, I can tell you the common parts that fail in the two speed saws that get abused will set you back at last check $750.

IMHO I would stay away from the 26" saws, overly complicated and repair parts would be costly.

Buy the best saw you can afford and make sure you cut material with it, the trans problems wont show up until there is a load on the gears.

Kevin

How are the 26" complicated?
He probably means the 2613-3 which has power everything and is therefore a rather complex machine internally. Sounds to me like you want a woodworking bandsaw and it could be as simple mechanically as a motor and V belt turning a 26" wheel. All this discussion for nothing...move along, nothing to see here folks...

A 3 speed Do-All in high gear will run the blade at 10,000 feet per minute? Is that what you are saying?

Stuart
Maybe not quite that much, but the 2613-3 will go to 9000 fpm at least. Other 3 speed DoAll models, not sure. Some Zephyr's can go to 15,000 fpm. However you can friction saw at around 6200 fpm I think.....had a Northfield 30 inch woodworking bandsaw once that would friction saw 1/4 steel plate just fine...

He probably means the 2613-3 which has power everything and is therefore a rather complex machine internally. Sounds to me like you want a woodworking bandsaw and it could be as simple mechanically as a motor and V belt turning a 26" wheel. All this discussion for nothing...move along, nothing to see here folks...

I want a damn good metal saw that I can ALSO cut wood with.
I only have one bay free in the personal garage and would rather not duplicate things.

Thus...I don't want a Delta or other light duty (though heavy for wood) saw.
If that's what I wanted I'd get a chicom 'kit' and go from there.

I want a damn good metal saw that I can ALSO cut wood with.
I only have one bay free in the personal garage and would rather not duplicate things.

Thus...I don't want a Delta or other light duty (though heavy for wood) saw.
If that's what I wanted I'd get a chicom 'kit' and go from there.
I wasn't thinking in terms of Delta (none of which are "heavy for wood" compared to industrial wood bandsaws like Northfield or Tannewitz, which make a Delta 20 inch seem like a playtoy), thinking in terms of a proper industrial woodworking bandsaw, like Northfield...which would be if anything more rigid than a DoAll. DoAlls are after all made of steel plate weldments whereas the better wood saws are properly ribbed cast iron.

Back