What's new
What's new

NSK Handpiece and Brushless Driver Combinations

BugRobotics

Stainless
Looking to purchase a NSK Emax setup and was wondering about the handpiece combinations possible with the driver. Do NSK handpieces have a standard connector? Will any handpiece work with any driver? Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

No idea, but it's funny you posted this as I was just thinking if I 'needed' one of these tools. After looking at the prices, I'm thinking not. But they look like top notch stuff.

They are nice, but if you have air it's a lot cheaper to just pick up a little 1/8" die grinder from a good manufacturer. I quite like my 60,000 RPM Dotco.

20190302_123339.jpg

No idea, but it's funny you posted this as I was just thinking if I 'needed' one of these tools. After looking at the prices, I'm thinking not. But they look like top notch stuff.
I have several Saeyang (Korea) Marathon brand micromotors. The brushless 50K unit was about $600 and the 35K brush type were around $150, both prices including the drive unit. The expensive drive has two outlets so I can leave two handpieces plugged in all the time. It works with the brushless and the brush-type handpieces. I have four handpieces of different types and the plugs are all the same.

These things are great tools, especially when very high speed is wanted for tiny carbide and diamond burs and points. I have not had any trouble with them. I still use the Foredom flex shaft tools for larger and heavier work.

Foredom and Gesswein sell the Marathon units to industrial customers, but they are also sold by dental supply houses. I got a good price on the 50K unit from a US dental supply company. I got the brush-type units on eBay from a China dental supply seller. I got them some years ago, so there are probably newer and different model numbers sold now.

Larry

I saw and tried NSK units at tool shows for years before I finally decided to buy one. It cost a lot, but it is so far ahead of most other electric hanpieces that I have never had any regrets.

GregSY said:
Ohhhh you need one. :drool5:

eKretz said:
They are nice, but if you have air it's a lot cheaper to just pick up a little 1/8" die grinder from a good manufacturer. I quite like my 60,000 RPM Dotco.
How is the noise level and vibration at higher RPMs with the DOTCO unit? I've ran air units in the past that were pretty noisy. I'm also after the low runout of the NSK units. Never measured the runout on the air spindles I've used in the past.

L Vanice said:
I still use the Foredom flex shaft tools for larger and heavier work.
Yea, this will be my plan as well. I'll take a closer look at the Marathon units. May work out to try one and compare with the NSK unit.

I saw and tried NSK units at tool shows for years before I finally decided to buy one. It cost a lot, but it is so far ahead of most other electric handpieces that I have never had any regrets.

Yea, this is my feeling as well. I'm done buying almost the best tool and then being pissed at myself for not spending the extra 500 bucks.

I have a electric one, to turn on off i have taken up the option of electric foot pedal.Its the emax evolution.

For some reason the site is not coming up today. Have a look around the site www.nsk-nakanishi.co.jp if you can

just had a look the homepage is not working but the link here is NAKANISHI | Industrial | Micro Grinders & Tools

There is a chart with available attachments down the page here NAKANISHI | Industrial | Micro Grinders & Tools | Emax EVOlution

just noticed you have found that there are some notes on compabiltiy of motors to emax evolution on the website.

Maybe have a look in tools you may find what your looking for. http://www.nsk-nakanishi.co.jp/industrial-eng/mgt/dw_pdf/tools.pdf

Send them a email and ask the questions you want answered if you cannot find it on the site.

The Dotco doesn't vibrate very much at all. The noise is pretty minimal as well, it uses an overhose for the exhaust that goes right back down outside of the intake hose, carrying most of the noise away with it. I'm not near the grinder at the moment but I'll check the runout tomorrow. I know it's not much, certainly can't feel it when it's running wide open

Quick update...

After looking around and trying out various grinders I opted for the NSK Emax. The air grinder eKretz pointed out is certainly nice and I will probably be getting one in the future as well. The NSK is a dream to use and the quick release collet is an awesome feature for quickly replacing carbide burrs.

Back