What's new
What's new

Questions about volstro milling head

teemfan93

Cast Iron
Picked up this milling head and I know the first photo shows the right angle attachment. I am wondering what the second casting is for? I have had another one of these several years ago but it was just what was shown in the first photo... Can anybody help fill me in here?

IMG_2290.jpgIMG_2291.jpg

Pure speculation here, but I'm wondering if the quill-like section in the first picture would fit into the downward pointing casting of the second. The first setup gives maximum flexibility (setup wise) with some loss of rigidity. In the seconds instance you get fewer degrees of motion but a little more stiffness.

Pure speculation here, but I'm wondering if the quill-like section in the first picture would fit into the downward pointing casting of the second. The first setup gives maximum flexibility (setup wise) with some loss of rigidity. In the seconds instance you get fewer degrees of motion but a little more stiffness.

Good call. Just loosend up some of the SHCS and you're spot on. Thanks!

What? Fewer degrees of "motion"? What kind of BS is this? There is NO relationship between radius and "degrees of motion". 90 degrees is 90 degrees whether at 1 inch or 20 feet.
W

What? Fewer degrees of "motion"? What kind of BS is this? There is NO relationship between radius and "degrees of motion". 90 degrees is 90 degrees whether at 1 inch or 20 feet.
W

Well, call it what you will, but as shown assembled on the left one would theoretically be able to mill the underside of a flange or to mill angled slots in it. Mounted to the casting on the right, not so much.

Back