What's new
What's new

Questions on Drill Chuck for a Mill

Hello, I am sourcing a drill chuck for a Grizzly mini-mill (MT3) that I bought used and is missing the chuck.

I'm torn between a china junker for ~$70 shipped or trying to buy a better quality used USA chuck. A lot of the used USA chucks I see have threaded attachments to the spindle adapter. If I have a chuck with a threaded attachment, won't the chuck run itself off when I use a left-handed drill bit?

Left-handed drilling is specifically what I need to do with this new chuck... drill out a small bolt.

Thanks!

(PS. chuck needs to fit an MT3 arbor and hold 1/16" drill bit.)

Threaded reversing hand drills have a small screw down the chuck into the arbor. They are often left hand thread. pitch is not the same as the main chuck thread mount.
Bill D.

Thanks! So i guess these chucks I'm finding must have been for hand drills? Then i might have an issue finding an arbor that fits MT3 with threads...

Guess I'll keep looking for one with a taper?

The spindle is a MT taper

The arbor will be MT to a JT taper

The drill chuck will be smaller, perhaps 1/4” max capacity, with JT taper to match arbor.

Lathe Tailstock 0.5-13mm (Jacobs Jt6) MT3 Arbor Heavy Duty Drill Chuck + Key | eBay

There are odd beasts (jt33) that have an integral threaded ring to install/remove the chuck. Ignore those for the time being.

You may need a threaded arbor, instead of flatted tang.

Read the manual.

Your mill is either Morse taper #3 or R-8. Probably MT3 and the chuck is not threaded but has a Jacobs taper.
Go to ( Little Machine Shop) website and there you will find the chuck and taper adaptor . Also any thing you need for mini-mills and mini- lathes are on this site.
Check the forum rules before posting.
mike

I would still do it right.

My thoughts exactly. I'm looking at NOS Jacobs USA made chucks. And will need an adapter to the MT3.

Looks like for similar money i can get a "good" china chuck or a real US chuck.

I'd rather get something that is good quality now and pairs well with a better lathe later too.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

I don't know about the New Jacobs chuck, when talking to MSC I was told all Jacobs chucks are being made in China. I have quite a few Albrecht keyless chucks which are very good and accurate. Ones I have on my mill fit the SPI quick change adapter J6, I'm stuck with J6 because that is the only taper available. One came with a Chinese chuck mounted, I curse the thing every time I use it! Will slip holding a #7 drill! I forgot the brand but supposed to me a better grade Chinese chuck. One I ordered was supposed to be TIN coated, I was called and told it was discontinued but I accepted the hard chrome one. Dam thing is just like the other. Seems the problem is in the pilot on the key, it's too small and the key slips. I have a number of older Jacobs chuck on my lathes, key fits great and does not slip! That's why I wanted to get a Jacobs with J6 taper from MSC and told that Jacobs was made in China. I do have a Rohm keyless that works good. I too would like to find a good key type chuck to fit J6 for my mill.

Thanks. Now I'm looking at Rohm keyless chucks :)

Given i currently have the mini-mill i may just go with a cheaper rohm for now. As long as the quality is good it'll be fine. I don't forsee daily use at this stage.

Stay away from keyless is left hand drilling is your priority. They can open up in reverse under load. Albrecht does make a "locking" chuck, and they'd be my go to anyway for keyless, but they are also about the priciest.

Back