Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Quick-change tool posts of first-world origin

I'm on the hunt for a quick change tool post and some holders for my lathe. 'BXA' size or equivalent for a 13" swing. I would like to consider options of first world origin only. US, CA, EU, UK, etc. I've had it with derpy Asian products and I don't even want to bother with them anymore. I'd rather pay up for the real McCoy and be done with it so I can work *in* my shop instead of *on* it.

I know Aloris operates out of New Jersey. In fact if I'm not mistaken they originated the 'AXA', 'BXA', etc. standards? Definitely *an* option, but $480 for just a bare tool post is a little excessive for my needs.

What other quality options are out there worth considering for a home lathe - with no nonsense attached?

I thought I heard ENCO made their own system at one point - multifix or something? Are those still obtainable or worth a damn in recent times?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Multifix are VERY expensive unless you get Chinese. If I were you I'd watch the Tooling For Sale section here unless you're in a hurry. Used stuff comes up on eBay all the time too, for real good prices if you're patient. It's hard to break a near monolithic chunk of hardened steel. That's not to say that there aren't those who could do it. Easily.

3. Likes Just a Sparky, Winterfalke liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Forty years ago, Enco made QC tool post sets, lathe turrets and other tooling of their own design in Chicago. At the same time, they imported Swiss Multifix QC sets and had the Enco name put on them. That original Enco company is long gone, with the name now owned and used by MSC. The old Enco design sets/holders are rare now. I use my Enco Swiss set on my Clausing lathe and have added other Swiss Multifix holders over the years. I use the excellent Hardinge QC sets on my Hardinge lathes.

KDK made solid QC sets in several sizes, but they also went out of business. They were popular, so there are lots of used ones around, along with Chinese copies. Also gone are Fims, Repeater and other forgotten USA makers.

Larry

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two way toolposts aren't worth shit compared to a multifix. I don't care what country they're made in, the best Aloris or clone thereof, won't have the versatility of a multifix. Nor the repeatability. If you plan to have a DRO on your lathe, then you don't want to be loosening off your toolpost to get some odd angle access to a feature on a part.

Buy an American made gun if you want something domestic, but offshore manufacturers of machine tools and accessories can do good work. Don't buy bottom of the barrel and you won't get bottom of the barrel. Create tool makes good stuff, IMO.

And to think, I'd probably never have purchased a multifix if a used lathe I bought hadn't come with one built onto the compound. One day's work with that thing (it was a big lathe) and I took the other crap 4 way toolposts off my other lathes and never looked back. I have a small lathe with an Aloris clone, and I hate it for its lack of versatility. Like operating a lathe one handed. If I used that lathe a lot, I would change the toolpost. But I don't, because it's toolpost sucks

I machine for a living, and I've got my manual lathe operations about as streamlined as you can imagine. 16 tools ready to go on either of two lathes, none of them in the way, and all with a known position as soon as I push a button on the DRO.

Some say there is no money in repair work. Yeah, if you aren't set up to make good time on work, there isn't. If you're not looking to maximize your work output, then it doesn't really matter what toolpost you get.

6. Likes digger doug, dian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a spare Size A MultiQuick which is the final Swiss made version of the original Minder design. I would put it above most new Chinese but not as nice as the original or the first Multi Suisse from Mivesa if you have an interest. No tool holders but I do know the original and the Pewe ones fit well. I don't have any Create holders to test. Dave

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a kdk 150 for sale that would probably fit. Also enco 45 that us probably too big

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, Aloris (and clones) are about my least favourite style of QC toolpost so...

I'd take a Chinese Multifix clone over a genuine Aloris any day of the week.

Bison make Dickson clones in Poland, also much better than an Aloris, not as versatile as a multifix.

10. Likes Limy Sami, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dorian Tool in Texas makes a clone of the aloris system. I've seen a few around and they seem well made and not as pricey as Aloris.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am sort of stuck with KDK on one machine, but it is OK, the main problem being the tool holders are slowly disappearing on ebay. The import KDK style holders are expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Sparky View Post
    I would like to consider options of first world origin only. US, CA, EU, UK, etc.
    but $480 for just a bare tool post is a little excessive for my needs.
    You want first world quality but pay third world prices

Peter

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    You want first world quality but pay third world prices

Peter
    Not sure about US prices but in the UK a Bison T.0/T.1/T.2 toolpost which should be in the right sort of size range can be had for well within $480, infact maybe even with a couple of holders too.

I'm more or less in the same position, I have an import manual lathe which is fine for my needs but the quality of the tool post and it's holders are an issue. I've used Bison holders on a Dickson post before and the quality seemed very good which is what I would expect from Bison, having searched around I've come to the conclusion the most affordable but decent option is the Bison but that may not be the case in the US.

The other option is buy used, but here in the UK quality tooling seems to hold it's value so well it's questionable whether it's worth it some of the time vs just buying new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

get a creatool multifix + 12 holders.
    Last edited by dian; 04-07-2021 at 12:26 PM.

16. Likes DJ2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yuasa holders are made in Japan , but typically cost more new than their aloris or dorian counterparts . they don't hold their value
    on the used market as well , and can be a good buy- often dismissed as "asian " junk .

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can someone give me a link to this multifix tooling system???

I have 3 lathes in my shop, 2 hardinge toolrooms and 1 summit engine lathe that are current running Aloris stuff. Yea I definitely don't like them. Can't seem to find much info from google regarding Multifix

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metalmadness View Post
    Not where to buy them from but a bit of light reading,

Multifix Toolpost

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metalmadness View Post

I have 3 lathes in my shop, 2 hardinge toolrooms and 1 summit engine lathe that are current running Aloris stuff. Yea I definitely don't like them. Can't seem to find much info from google regarding Multifix
    Manufacturer: GROUP 100: QUICK CHANGE TOOL HOLDERS

Example vendor with prices: Quick-change tool holders, ORIGINAL MULTISUISSE

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have two lathes running the largest wedge style Aloris that will fit and probably 75 holders... they're good for a couple of thou in terms of repeatability and are mostly semi-rigid. They are not however something I would ever trust to repeat through holder changes or stand up to heavy cuts.

In terms of having tooling dedicated to tasks ready to go in a maintenance environment with modest expense, they're fine.

No question the mulitfix are better.

Personally for maintenance work I find putting the largest Aloris your machine is comfortable with works for me.
    In a production environment I'd never have a QC tool holder, too many moving parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    question is, why these should be "original". originally chinese, i say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L Vanice View Post
    Forty years ago, Enco made QC tool post sets, lathe turrets and other tooling of their own design in Chicago. ...
    I have one of those smaller Enco turret toolposts, with one QC position. It repeats within a thou so I can indeed index around to get odd angles, and then
    go back to 'where I was.'

I keep a turning tool, a grooving tool, and a threading tool in the three fixed positions, and have a good assortment of QC holders for that with specialty tooling
    installed. Best off both worlds, on a budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't like the fact that I can't make holders for a multifix toolpost, that might bother you it might not. I like some custom holders I've made for holding smaller HSS tools, gangs of drills, and the like. And even the knock off toolholders are expensive and don't hold imperial sized tools, you need to bush every round tool.

Personally I got a used Aloris CXA toolpost and then about 20 off shore oversized holders for it. That to me was the best bang for the buck. I've used the knock off wedge posts and they are don't have the firm take up on the handle like the Aloris. But I see no point in spending lots of money on a block with a dovetail in one side and a slot in the other.