What's new
What's new

Quick way to run a nut down all thread rod.

Bill D

Diamond
I had to run some 1/4" nuts onto some allthread down about 8". Much beyond the reach of any deep socket. I quickly got tired of spinning them with my fingers. Chucked up a small wire wheel in the cordless drill and used that to spin them down. Worked quite well. I suppose a belt sander would do the job as well.
Bill D

I did the same but used one of those rubber spindles that you put in your drill chuck to make a sleeve-type sander. Just use no sandpaper sleeve. Spins whatever you need without damage.

Just chuck the all thread in your drill and put a wrench or pliers on the nut.

The all thread was already installed and not moving. I should have done that before putting it up. Live and learn I guess. I still have to do this on the opposite end for 2-3 inches each.
Bill D

It took only two replies here to get an excellent method for doing this.

If only the construction crew and supervisors that installed the walkways at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Kansas City had been so smart.

You can also cobble together an ultra-deep socket by duct taping a 1/2" drive socket to appropriate conduit, pipe, or other tubing and the same at the other end with any drill accessory that fits including a small hole saw. Won't stand up to heavy torque but fine for running the nuts down.

Reminds of the long thread for the stop on the drill press. Two nuts to spin up and down. Probably somebody has made a better design.

If only the construction crew and supervisors that installed the walkways at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Kansas City had been so smart.

If the responsible engineer had known the proper usage of a coupling nut the field revision wouldn't have been requested. But the design of the supporting beam was faulty as well, proper support rods would have just kicked the can down the road. But it might have allowed for the error to be noticed by someone who could have gotten it fixed.

Hey Ya'll,
Many years ago when I was doing concrete day in and day out.. We had a rather large job where we used coil rods for our form work.. LOt's of nut turning there as the wall was 'battered' ( think pyramid shaped) and we only had one length of rod. Boss wouldn't let us cut the rods down as they were rented.. So we had a bunch of 6 ft rods that needed nuts run in on either side. The wall was 8ft thick at the bottom and 2 ft at the top.. Long story short is one of our workers of Latin American descent brought in a skate board wheel attached to a shaft minus the bearing and we ran in nuts with that device in a drill. Worked like a champ and I still think I have it in the shop.. comes in handy now and then.
Hope this helps
Stay safe
Calvin B

Reminds of the long thread for the stop on the drill press. Two nuts to spin up and down. Probably somebody has made a better design.

They make a single nut similar to half nuts on a lathe. There is a button on the side you push in and it disengages the threads so the nut slides along the rod. release the button and the thread engages.
Bill D.

take a cheep 1/4" deep socket cut it in 1/2 at the middle of the body take some steel tube or pipe the death that you need the nuts to be at and that the socket will fit in drill two or three 3/16" holes around the pipe in the middle of were the ends of the socket will set and tack weld with a mig welder and your good to go just like cole was saying . we did one at work to install and remove the bob wights when engine balancing have one for 1/2" and wing nuts

On mine, I turned down and threaded the end of a piece of 1/2-20 allthread to fit the mounting bracket and use one of those "clothespin" type stops meant for a Bridgeport. The DP came with one of those "quick nuts" where you press a button to move it but after it slipped a couple times while drilling to a specific depth I trash canned it and made the substitute.

They did, it had "buckets" cut in the side, so you hit it with a blow gun, moved it right along.

On this drill stop there are two nuts. If one is skilled the nuts are spaced 1/8" apart and then you twirl them up or down.
Can't blame it on a import this time.

I don't know if they make them for drill presses but I have a nut on the quill of my Bridgeport that has a button to push and you can slide it up or down like it has no threads in it.

Back