What's new
What's new

Quill mounted indicator design

toadboy65

Plastic
This might be sort of unnecessary, as the mill is designed with a perfectly good knee elevation dial. However, I am partial to precise quill control. So I made this:
mill ind.jpg
It seems a good use of the big indicator. The movable elevation rod on the bottom can swing out of the way pretty readily, and of course the indicator pops right out.
The only permanent modification is the little tab I welded onto the quill stop.
mill ind2.jpg
I made accommodations to hang an indicator from the lower bracket, as the bracket mounts where I usually put the indicator.
It is still sort of a work in progress, but once I am satisfied with it, I will polish and anodize it properly.

I also wanted precise quill travel indication. But with almost 5" of travel, a DI just would not cut it. So I mounted a 6" digital caliper. I cut off the inside jaws to prevent getting stuck by them and I reduced the size of the outside jaws that I used to mount it.

I have to read it sideways, but it is still a treat. A digital depth gauge would have allowed upright reading.

attachment.php

That seems like a compact and simple solution. My indicator has 3" of travel, thus the need for the lower contact rod. I am sure that I will eventually encounter a situation where one uninterrupted measurement for the whole quill range will be required. I need one reset in such a case, and you do not. I had looked at some of the commercially available solutions, especially the mitutoyo digital unit, but they seemed sort of in the way of needed access. Your solution seems better.
I do like the "feel" of the analog system, and am happy with it so far.

Back