What's new
What's new

Quincy air compressors

btm

Hot Rolled
I'm looking at purchasing a new air compressor for my shop.
Currently, my first choice is a Quincy QP, 7.5HP 80 gal. I've heard good things about Quincy, but I'm looking for feedback on this specific unit.
Noise is a concern because my shop is in a residential area.

I have also looked at Eaton Compressors, but I've seen mixed reviews on those.

Thanks
btm

Is this an industrial compressor, or big box compressor? I saw some Quincy compressors last year at a big box store, they had reed valves as opposed to the old style disc valves which makes me question the quality. Old style Quincy's were rock solid, not sure if you can get same quality new today, maybe from a dealer?

Bought a Quincy Q15 ~ 10 years ago, used, aside from a broken connecting rod snapping in half a year later. I is still operating just fine. When the rod repair was done I replaced bearings, just cause I had it apart.
One thing I would take into consideration is the size, looing back I would have purchased something much bigger. That being said it still does the job just fine, it is the Jeeslus noise.
Check it out. If it is in good shape and your happy with the price go for it. I also must point that we don't have it running 24 7 either, but atleast 40 + hr. a week.

If you need something quiet go with a screw compressor. I have a piston compressor going on 30 years and it is way too loud if I have to work near it all day long.

If you need something quiet go with a screw compressor. I have a piston compressor going on 30 years and it is way too loud if I have to work near it all day long.

We have 3 compressors from Cast-Air and really like them. Google them

Quincy QR type are quiet. QT... not so. 7.5hp is a QR340. I have a couple... can hold a normal conversation beside them running. Wife can't even hear it running when she's inside. At work we have a QT10 - need air-plugs to be in the same room.

The 2 yr old Quincy at work, 7.5hp/80gal is not quiet. It turns pretty fast compared to some older models and therefore makes more noise. We also have a Speedaire (Gardner-Denver) of the same HP and tank size which turns a lot slower and therefore is much quieter.

According to Quincy , they may not be right for you...... IN the video below I repair my compressor... The tech at Quincy told me these compressors are made to run and run... NOT run just a little.. They said I needed to run mine continually to eliminate the problem I had.

Is this an industrial compressor, or big box compressor? I saw some Quincy compressors last year at a big box store, they had reed valves as opposed to the old style disc valves which makes me question the quality. Old style Quincy's were rock solid, not sure if you can get same quality new today, maybe from a dealer?

Did a little research and discovered that the new Quincy compressors do have reed valves.
The specs that can be downloaded from the Quincy website mention stainless reed valves.
The QP series is pressure lubricated, so I expected that they would be a higher quality pump.
The main casting is iron, but the head is aluminum.
The price is a bit high too. $3250 from the local Quincy dealer.

Maybe I'll take a second look at Eaton and also Cast-Air.

If you really need 80 gallons and 7.5hp I'd seriously look at a rotary screw u unit. You could probably get away with a smaller tank too.

If you really need 80 gallons and 7.5hp I'd seriously look at a rotary screw u unit. You could probably get away with a smaller tank too.

I would love to have a rotary screw compressor, but even the smallest units are a little over what I'm willing to spend on a compressor.

Even if it only did 25000 hrs that is a little over 10 years running 8 hrs every workday.
I figured 25 days a month x 12 mo x 8 hrs = 2400 x10 yrs is 24000 hrs

The only gripe I remember seeing is needing to use special oil and to change it on schedule. Dont really see that as a problem though.

Like was said above, the Quincy QR series are still made and pretty much the best recip you can buy for the past 90 years or so.

The consumer grade Quincy's are not even in the same league. They are built cheap to compete against all the other crap out there.

Industrial recip compressors like the QR series have unloaders and are unable to pump anything until oil pressure builds up. With unloaders they can easily be run continuous instead of start/stop which is real nice if you actually need a lot of air.

IMO, A good way to look at compressors is to assume they are all huge pieces of shit built as cheap as possible from die cast parts until proven otherwise.

I have a Quincy 350 and two 325's. The 350 is actually 4 feet away from my shop computer where I'm typing right now. It runs at 400 RPM and it's not loud at all. I can talk on the phone right next to it while it's running. And that compressor is 55 years old and ran 24/7 in a plywood mill before I bought it.

The other option to a silent ,is a very large piston unit run at maybe 200rpm,or less.....Then you may well get an annoying suction noise or whistle......The mean between a screw and a piston is a vane type..simple ,quiet ,but will still need an oil separator and a cooler ,just like a screw.I would not touch reed valves ,cheapness personified.I used to like the Broomwade sleeve valve units with a ring valve discharge,Sleeve porting is the inlet ,so no suction noise opening spring loaded valves.

The scroll compressor looks interesting. Oil and filter change every 3 years isn't bad and it cycles like a piston pump for variable air loads. I have been using scroll compressors for over 20 years in heat pumps with no issues so not a new idea. Thank you, bookmarked for when mine dies, but I will keep the 80 gallon tank for storage.

Well, PM got me again and now I uave one of those Eastwood scroll units on the way. I'll report back.

The reviews on Garage Journal seemed fair, but that site seems like a bunch of bickering old men that couldn't troubleshoot a spoon. In other words, it should be great for the PM crowd.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Back