What's new
What's new

Another third world machining video - but well done!

gregormarwick

Diamond
I don't post this kind of thing often, but I was genuinely impressed with this one. A guy joining broken crankshafts, with very modest equipment to a genuinely high standard of workmanship.

• Functional interference fit with a pair of ID/OD spring calipers, a file, and some emery cloth.
  • Timing the cranks very carefully when joining.
  • Really nice welding with a 100 year old transformer plant.
  • Post weld straightening on what looks like a home made straightening press.
  • Undercuts the new journal with a round file!
  • Hones the journals when he's done.

What stands out the most is the care he takes of his lathe. I think this is probably the only video I've seen like this where the lathe is not some tragically beat up abused piece of old scrap iron that barely runs. His lathe looks in good shape, you see him wipe the ways every time he uses emery for example. Lathe appears to be braced against the wall, presumably because the brick floor can't support it.

I've seen this pop up in my recommended videos, never watched it though. Maybe I will now. I guess where there's a will theres there's way, and if this is the only way...

He should learn basic safety. Welding when crouched down and smoking a cig...could cause back cancer.

Gotta love that welding helmet....

It's ironic that he's fixing a crankshaft none of us would repair....we'd just buy a new one for cheap, made 20 miles from where he is.

...cut...
Lathe appears to be braced against the wall, presumably because the brick floor can't support it.

My quess is supporting it from wobbling due to unbalance. Stubby crankshafts might not be the most balanced things to spin..

The Pakistani truck repairs are a very good reason to stay off Pakistan roads....another video is of welding a broken steering knuckle of an 8 ton truck. front axle..........although a surprising one (to me) is making pistons from scrap ally for a Hino diesel engine...all machining is done using calipers,and the machinists judgement ....seeing as an original Hino piston is likely a hot pressing ,and CNC machined to work in a Turbo charged truck engine...its kinda amazing one made from scrap melted in a pot melter would work....for five minutes..........and Pakistan isnt the kinda place where you d be wanting user complaints.

I've watched a lot of these wonder what a fresh out of college OSHA inspector would say! Gotta hand it to them though, they get the job done. I wonder if the machine tools they use are reincarnated machinists who never oiled or took take of the shop tools.

Looks like that crank may have been repaired before.
One of the really impressive feats is welding while holding the face-shield on his knees and rotating the crank with the other hand. Try that standing up.

That guy's actually got skills. Wonder if knows he could make $100k++ a year as a manual machinist in a first world country?

The only reason this makes sense is because wage rates low and that's at least partly because labor productivity and total productivity are low. The reason we'd just go guy a new one is that it's literally not worth our time to screw with this. (Or, I suppose, the new ones break so fast you have to do this all of them anyway.)

Get 'r done.

I have to admit his lathe is cleaner than mine. Looked to me like he took two cranks to make one. Given the dismal supply of repair parts for machines of all types these videos may become important repair suggestions.

In all those type of videos showing welding I haven't seen a helmet with a headband yet. Everyone seems to wear a nightshirt to weld in a squatting position, holding the shield between their chest and knees.

I think I linked to the video of the Pakistani guy who was piecing together broken snap-ring rims to make one good one. It worked, too. CLAPPED OUT lathe with a CLAPPED OUT bench grinder bolted where the tailstock augtta be.

If it works, it ain't stupid.

He should learn basic safety. Welding when crouched down and smoking a cig...could cause back cancer.

Gotta love that welding helmet....

It's ironic that he's fixing a crankshaft none of us would repair....we'd just buy a new one for cheap, made 20 miles from where he is.

My only safety issue when welding is having a habit of leaving a shop rag close by and setting it on fire. That is nothing compared to how my welds usually look, projectile vomit comes to mind. I just weld to repair things in the shop and the occasional job for a friend. I do give them a stress test to see if they will hold. I am real good and grinding them and using filler to make them not so ugly.

When he is turning the diameters down on the crank halves, why does he rough in a taper first? Ah I watched a little farther and I see that he was looking for relief to weld downstream but it seemed odd to me.

Watched it today...there's shops out there with 100x better equipment that couldn't have pulled that off. Always amazes me those videos do. And the worst part about it is I make more in an hour than he does in a week, probably a month. And I don't make that much ;)

One particular four cylinder Allis Chalmers diesel used to break cranks ....fella up the road from me would buy the dozers /loaders cheap and do a similar weld repair and resell the machine.....for a very considerable profit.........When the crank broke again in the same place ,and weld was apparent,the buyers were not impressed.....

Mate ,its all just a horrible third world bodge.....be lucky if the crank lasts six months..........I see a big pile of cranks in the background,like for instance if they were importing used spares from Japan ,or Oz .....sound used cranks.........and Im wondering if the welding is just for the show ......these Paki repair videos have a millions audience.

A very good video if you need to know how to get something running true in a four jaw. Hit it with a big hammer.

Back