What's new
What's new

Rack/pinion source

icecats

Plastic
Hello,
I am working on a project that requires a small rack and pinion of about ~8" long. I can't seem to find an affordable rack. There are some options for DIY CNC routers, but they are often >3' long and quite expensive.
Does anyone have a good source for gear racks? I would also consider scrapping a set from an old piece of equipment, I just can't think of something that would use one.
Thanks

Only 8" long and I presume a simple rack?

Check out the parts used for carriage travel on the T*** micro lathe (can't say the actual name here). No actual experience with one but AFAIK about the right size and quite affordable.

Another option might be to cannibalize a large junk bellows camera. They used a rack and pinion to expand and contract the bellows while adjusting focal length. Many of them have been stripped of bellows, image plate, and lens mount to repair other cameras. Many years ago I used the guts of a smaller one as a basis for a slide duplicator.

"Affordable" was not defined in the OP, so no way to get specific. I have bought a lot of Boston Gear 48 DP 14.5 PA gears on Amazon. By checking prices from time to time, I have sometimes found them marked way down, like 80 or 85%, so that is when I buy most of them. In fact, I just looked and found three sizes that were cheap today and bought them. The 36 tooth gears were only $3.98. I can make these gears, but I would rather buy the stock sizes on sale and just make the odd sizes. They have matching rack, and today's price is $18.08 for two feet.

An alternative to rack and pinion is roller chain and sprocket. There might be some deals on eBay.

Larry

Misumi also has them. I don't see 8". You'd have to cut one down, but they have lengths around a foot (300mm).

icecats,

What size of rack do you need? I scavenged some rack (and maybe the pinions?) from some scrapped photographic equipment some years ago; may still have some of it out in the bone pile. Going by memory, I'd say it was in the vicinity of 1/2" wide and 24 DP. If that works for you, and if I still have it, you're welcome to a piece (and a gear, if I can lay my hands on that - not as sure whether I kept that) for the cost of shipping. Let me know if you're interested.

I have some in various sizes and lengths at home I am happy to pass along. I won't be home until Tuesday and I will check what I have and post it here.

I have 3/4", 1/2" and 3/8" and can easily cut you an 8" or longer piece. I also have some gears that will work with the 1/2". Note that everything has surface rust on it, so hopefully you don't need pristine stuff. It should clean up easily enough.

Hey folks,
Thanks for all of the help and offers to supply some material! I ended up finding what I needed on McMaster for a reasonable price. I had just been scared away initially by some much more expensive options.
Thanks

Back