What's new
What's new

Radio interference from LED lights

APD

Stainless
I just installed a bunch of new LED lights in the shop to replace the T8 fluorescents. They were cheap and the light is SOOOO much better. I wish I had done it years ago.
The only problem is that I usually have the radio on in the shop and these LED's put out so much electrical noise that any station is unlistenable, even with a battery powered radio.
I suspect there is really nothing I can do but I thought I would check here first.
I will probably end up just extending my WIFI to the shop and listen to internet radio and podcasts.

You are most probably right that there is not much to do other than changing the LED's to another brand/model.

Some led lights and their power supplies are notorious for generating RF noise as many amateur radio operators have discovered. Grounding the lights may help the problem. Routing the led power wires through torroid(s) may help. Good luck.

Bob
WB8NQW

I don't know much about RF waves but are the wires and connections shielded? Is that such a thing?

Could it be the new lights and ballasts do not get along together? Some LED lamps can be used sans ballasts, maybe that would make less noise. I would experiment before doing it all over maybe in case it makes it worse.

No ballasts, OLD T8's removed

I walked around outside the shop with my battery powered radio and it was still bad. So I dont think even an external antenna will help, since the antenna will have to enter the shop at some point.

I just installed a bunch of new LED lights in the shop to replace the T8 fluorescents. They were cheap and the light is SOOOO much better. I wish I had done it years ago.
The only problem is that I usually have the radio on in the shop and these LED's put out so much electrical noise that any station is unlistenable, even with a battery powered radio.
I suspect there is really nothing I can do but I thought I would check here first.
I will probably end up just extending my WIFI to the shop and listen to internet radio and podcasts.

The types of electronic ballasts can be the likely culprit. They are known in various manufactures and qualities to do this kind of thing from when they first came out for the fluorescent tubes.

You might check on this as a likely possibility.

“ No ballasts, OLD T8's removed”
Just noticed this. So they are taking just regular direct electricity? Then to LED’s themselves are likely doing that. When lights are off the interference stops so I take it.

I do think quality varies in the LED replacement tubes even though the light is considered much much better.

Its the switching type power supplies in the lights, nothing you can do to fix the noise from the supplies...find a fm station or a good outside antenna or a satellite station receiver, or new lights...Phil

I recently did the same change over like you. I actually went to Home Cheapo and bought the only choice they had for flor. replacements in T8 (the one dimple on each end).
It was called Halco made in ChiCommVille. Labeled as daylight shade color. I remember having some lighting made by Halo, so Halco is just another name ripoff.
So I'm supposed to feel all warm an fuzzy with a Halco because Halo was a good American brand...

The have been more bright than I thought because the LED's are encased in a frosted glass tube. Good light so far. But I have learned a lesson from the ChiComms:

SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS OR YOU WILL GET SCREWED.

If the problem happens when you turn on the lights then the internal inverters are suspect. I would try one tube at a time to see if there is a bum inverter in a
particular tube. Easy to do and swear at the same time. I do have a FM T antenna at right angles to a tube pair just a few inches away. FM reception has always been good. Never noticed a change. I am also using conduit to power the light fixtures.

My relatively new garage door openers are WIFI enabled and the instructions are very clear that LED light bulbs cannot be used because they will interfere with the WIFI signal. Not that I care about that.

Sorry you're having issues, but please let us know the brand and model so we can avoid them if interference would be an issue for our installs.

The noise from switching power supplies varies a lot among brands. I had a problem with 5 volt usb supplies (switchers) running from 12 volts in a glider interfering with the aircraft frequencies. I bought several different brands and found that some were very quiet, and others unusable due to noise. More expensive is often better, the some cheapies were fine. You might just try another unit from a major brand.

Jon

I agree the FCC will not do anything but most stuff I have bought in the last 5-10 years has a sticker saying it will not cause interference.
Bil lD

How about getting a SiriusXM subscription. I like the stations on there much better than the old terrestrial radio and the cost isn't too bad. Also works in the car wherever you go.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Led’s do produce noise every time they switch on at whatever frequency they operate. Outside antenna should do it. Fcc won’t do anything they are too busy selling rf spectrum to cell companies.

I agree the FCC will not do anything but most stuff I have bought in the last 5-10 years has a sticker saying it will not cause interference.
Bil lD

I wonder what the law actually states because technically it does not interfere with the signal transmitter (its not disrupting the radio station/signal), only interfering with my ability to receive clearly. Therefore it is not really "harmful" to anyone...ie it doesnt prevent anyone conducting their business. "Harmful" in legal terms usually means monetary or physical harm.

Regardless, you think the factory in china gives a shit about FCC regulations?

Back