What's new
What's new

is a RC 45 socket too hard to machine?

metalmagpie

Titanium
I am making a machine crank handle to fit a 1-1/8" hex shaft. I thought I'd just buy a cheap socket and cut off just the round female hex part and press fit it into a round hole in a lever. I got the socket today - an old Wright tool 1/2" drive 1-1/8" socket - and it does appear to be somewhat hardened as you'd expect. I checked it with one of those sets of files and it's between 40 and 45RC.

I'd like to just chuck it up and part off the back end. Is 45RC too hard for this? I have a 14x40 Nardini lathe with unsophisticated carbide insert cutoff tooling.

I could just hack it off with a chop saw and clean it up on the surface grinder, but I'd love to do it on the lathe and avoid all that mess.

metalmagpie

I am making a machine crank handle to fit a 1-1/8" hex shaft. I thought I'd just buy a cheap socket and cut off just the round female hex part and press fit it into a round hole in a lever. I got the socket today - an old Wright tool 1/2" drive 1-1/8" socket - and it does appear to be somewhat hardened as you'd expect. I checked it with one of those sets of files and it's between 40 and 45RC.

I'd like to just chuck it up and part off the back end. Is 45RC too hard for this? I have a 14x40 Nardini lathe with unsophisticated carbide insert cutoff tooling.

I could just hack it off with a chop saw and clean it up on the surface grinder, but I'd love to do it on the lathe and avoid all that mess.

metalmagpie

You can definitely machine it, but tapping coarse threads in this alloy is not fun.

I was doing the opposite(I wanted the 1/2" square). I bought a Harbor Freight impact socket and it parted off perfectly using HSS on a South Bend. The impact sockets in general are softer so they are not as brittle. HF even more so.

Must admit I’ve had to thin quite a few to get down holes, never been a problem, and as Cole said they usually turn well, good finish
Mark

Whilst I agree carbide is better.

FYI - An old school rule of thumb for machineability.

If you can mark a metal with the corner of a smooth file (as in a nick) it can be machined with HSS, (just keep the speed right down.)

Back