What's new
What's new

A really really stupid lathe programmer/operator

I have no idea how that roller support was supposed to help anything. Maybe if had been turned 90 degrees It might have done some good.

Why did it take so long to stop? I have never been around such big machines but it seems like it should have slowed faster. Especially after it was slow enough that everyone in the shop had come over to watch it. It looks like he let it coast to stop no braking?
Bill D.

That video has been brought up in another thread, in the Shop Owner’s section. A fellow had a coworker who was injured due to whip of a mixer shaft. Management dropped the ball and are looking for excuses.

On most lathes hitting the E-stop will cut power to the spindle, leave hydraulics (for clamping thank you) and control on while the spindle coasts down. With the spindle motor power cut it will not dynamically brake.

I've only been programming and operating a CNC lathe for less than a year and even I know NOT to do this.

CNC Lathe Whipping Barstock - YouTube

Probably should have hit the E-stop a few more times.

"Probably" should have been looking at the bugger when he first powered up and could still do a Hail Mary save, and already ON the E-stop.

DEFINITELY needed a whole different race, tribe, economic and social CLASS of outboard management for that bar material - or any other, comparable length. I'd not trust that piss-ant of a support with a halogen work light.

Or just a trip to the saw.

That guy needs a prize. Maybe they will let him take what’s left of that shaft home with him

They'd probably much RATHER force him to buy what's left of the MC, and/or wrap the bar around his ass, or carry it off to the unemployment office internally, and crosswise at that, too. Seriously oblivious move he made. Beard sez he shudda known better, and a long time ago.

Gonna need a lot more than a dollar and a half worth of going-over and getting back into its box and on-perch, that machine will. PROBABLY undamaged. But MUST be checked to make sure of that.

This kind of thing goes through my head every time I purchase a used machine.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

At work some long skinny shafting sometimes gets machined.

Think a short thread turned on 1" TGP shafting about 8'. It's always a big deal, very slow spindle speeds and everyone is watching the end of the that shaft, even with an outboard spider and support.

That was 3" diameter bar stock too, took about 5 seconds for all hell to brake lose, amazing.

On the rare occasions when I have to do something remotely like that, I use multiple heavy pipe stands and clamp a tube with ID no more than 2X the bar OD to all the stands. Effectively, this builds a crude bar feeder, drastically limits the bar deflection, and stops the positive feedback at an early stage. Simply supporting the free end of the bar, as in the original posting video, does nothing to control the whap-whap-whap.

In fact, this is how I set up my DV-59 for (manual) bar feed, since I am too cheap and too cramped to get an actual bar feed. Of course, DV-59 won't eat anything over 1.06" OD, so rather different world than 3" bar stock.

Suppose that's the difference between a button pusher and a machinist, maybe the machine not being bolted down saved it (just a thought)
Silly mistake as most mistakes are.
Mark

Simply supporting the free end of the bar, as in the original posting video, does nothing to control the whap-whap-whap..

It was pointed out in that other thread that at the beginning of the video, that support stand isn't even under the stock, and it was postulated that it was only there to assist in getting the bar through the spindle. It's obvious the operator expected the shaft to run true once clamped in the chuck... a mistake I bet he won't make again.:eek:

Dennis

On the rare occasions when I have to do something remotely like that, I use multiple heavy pipe stands and clamp a tube with ID no more than 2X the bar OD to all the stands. Effectively, this builds a crude bar feeder, drastically limits the bar deflection, and stops the positive feedback at an early stage. Simply supporting the free end of the bar, as in the original posting video, does nothing to control the whap-whap-whap.

In fact, this is how I set up my DV-59 for (manual) bar feed, since I am too cheap and too cramped to get an actual bar feed. Of course, DV-59 won't eat anything over 1.06" OD, so rather different world than 3" bar stock.

At a different shop, it was not "rare" for us, when you do Oil&Gas long pipe is a part of the job. We had 4 steel tables on rollers and a Steady rest bolted to the table top. The rollers would lock, height of the table was adjustable, but 4 tables-4 manual Lathes.

NOTE; "Manual Lathes" there were no CNC's for that work, the spindles ramp too fast.

R

Seems awfully convenient that a camera was focused on the machine, from above at startup. Maybe staged????

Seems awfully convenient that a camera was focused on the machine, from above at startup. Maybe staged????

Not very likely. It's just the one camera aimed at that machine, there's more for other machines. And the way that lathe was hopping showed it was a real bar (with real mass), not some fake PVC tube. It was just an "Oh Shit!" moment that got caught on video, the machine shop equivalent of a "crazy Russian driver" tape.

Back