What's new
What's new

Reaming 660 Bronze

bhigdog

Stainless
Looking at reaming a 7/8 hole through an 8" length of 660 bronze 1 3/4 OD cored rod. Any hints tips warnings? Special brass/bronze reamer required?..........Bob

IME it wants to collapse and bind the tool. I'd core drill it first and ream as little as I thought possible. Someone else can probably answer better, but I think you want more back taper on the reamer.

IME it wants to collapse and bind the tool. I'd core drill it first and ream as little as I thought possible. Someone else can probably answer better, but I think you want more back taper on the reamer.

I edited my post to add the rod OD is 1 3/4"..............Bob

660 is pretty easy to machine- nothing like the aluminum or manganese bronzes. Make sure the reamer is sharp, and you should be ok. Assuming here you are not planning on reaming the as cast cored hole directly with the reamer.

I was planning to drill .015 under size. Chuck rod in 4 jaw and bore lead hole about 1" deep to center the drill. Then drill to middle and reverse. Then ream straight through. Hoping drill step in center, if any, will be minimum problem. Thoughts?.....Bob

If i was going for as straight as possible on a manual lathe, I'd drill with a 3/4 drill to center from both ends and bore from both ends as deep as I could to get the drilled hole straight. Then use a dubbed drill and/or ream all the way through to .015 to .031 under. Then final ream to size from one end.

To avoid chatter when boring the holes keep your SFM really low and set your boring bar around .02-.03 above center so when the bar deflects down it takes a lighter cut rather than a heavier cut.
The bar being above center will mess with your diameter readings on the dial/DRO but that doesn't really matter since your aren't boring to size.

Back