What's new
What's new

Reaming carbon fibre tube

blek

Plastic
Hi all

I've got some 7.00mm x 10.00mm carbon fibre tube Im wanting to ream out to 7.3mm ID and was wondering what the best way to proceed would be? I don't have experience with machining cf and have read everything from "run the lathe at half drill speed with a slow steady feed for the reamer" to "run up as fast as possible and jam it in like you just don't care!" So I'm a little confused of best practice.

Any help would be appreciated - Cheers.

Many people run reamers fast, I don't. I run about the same rpm to drill, but feed slow and I get good results. That's how I was taught long ago and that's just how I do it.

I prefer to bore over ream, that's why I asked how deep you have to go. Reamers are ok, but if a boring bar will work, use it.
Harvey has a good selection of little boring bars.

Low speed, sharp carbide reamer, feed as fast as you're comfortable with, and if this is something you'll be doing a lot of you'll want to get a PCD-tipped reamer for good life and cutting action.

A HSS reamer may work, but if it dulls too quickly you'll put a lot of hoop stress into the tube and may damage it. You don't want the matrix material to overheat either, and rubbing from a dull tool will do that, so my suggestion for a carbide or PCD reamer.

Thanks for the advice all, I think I'll go with @azmachining suggestion and run drill speed with slow feed :) We'll see how I go!

Back