What's new
What's new

Rear Toolpost for Smart Brown 1024

beckerkumm

Hot Rolled
The S and B has a long cross slide and an original option was a rear toolpost that i don't have so this is my answer.DSCN4023.jpg

I got some Class 40 grey cast iron and made a two piece mount. I hit ( or created ) a hard spot in the cast iron and wrecked some end mills. I finally used a surface grinder to get through the spot and make sure the pieces were flat when installed. The cross slide has six existing BSF 5/16 holes drilled in it so I used those. The two center holes can be nutted and the others are blind holes. I milled a piece of cast iron 1" thick indented in the center so any twist was absorbed by the cast rather than screws.DSCN4017.jpg

The second 1" piece is slotted to give me about 3/4" lateral adjustment if needed. The bottom piece can also go back and just use the three back screws in a pinch. I made a 20mm post to accept my spare Multifix or if I add a 7/8" sleeve, my Dickson.DSCN4022.jpg DSCN4020.jpg

The mount is set at the same height as the compound but since the tooling is set in the holders opposite to the front Multifix they really aren't interchangeable so I just have a couple of parting tools and chamfers set up as dedicated so far. As I use it more I will likely find things that need modifying. DaveDSCN4022.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN4021.jpg
    DSCN4021.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 66
Curious, other than parting and form tools on smaller lathes which is all I use rear tools for, what other purpose?

The OP’s post looks like nice work!

L7

Curious, other than parting and form tools on smaller lathes which is all I use rear tools for, what other purpose?

The OP’s post looks like nice work!

L7

I sometimes run a finishing tool on the rear post, and more rarely an inverted boring tool - very useful on brass and fine chipping material which tends to fly.

Last edited:
This Smart and Brown lathe has a Camlock spindle and can use 5C collets direct in the spindle. Running in reverse is just a matter of pushing the button.

Back