What's new
What's new

reasonably priced xy tables

Muttleytm

Plastic
First, I have a drill press and I don't intend to use if for milling. I also don't do anything too precise. My DP is a stand model and the table can spin and tilt. I thought that would have me plenty of adjustments, however I have found times an xy table or "milling" table would be very helpful to do some fine tuning or the position of the piece in relation to the bit. One project involves drilling lengthwise into the middle of some bamboo poles. They are sized, but not all uniform, so for this reason it would be nice along with initial setup.

So with all that up front I'm wondering if there are any good places to look for some affordable xy tables. Most every website like Amazon and ebay have tons of junk ones. I hear lots of used older stuff can be way better and places like Craiglist and ebay are mentioned. I also know the people don't use Craiglist much anymore and as I've mentioned ebay is full or junk. I guess individual people have migrated to Facebook Marketplace, but I don't/won't use Facebook for a number of reasons. I also know that older units may need some work or parts that are not longer available. I have plenty of projects, I don't want yet another daunting project to do an existing one.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to get some reasonably priced tables for a hobbyist that actually work.

They’re all junk. I cannot say if there was ever a really GOOD X/Y table designed for a drill press. IF there ever was an actual BETTER option in this segment, those ones are worn out and anything currently available is lighter and cheaper. In any real manufacturing scenario what you’re asking for is called either a radial arm drill press or vertical milling machine. That isn’t to say that your indicated purposes aren’t served perfectly well by an X/Y table and vise bolted to your drill press, more to say that literally the first offering you choose isn’t likely to be drastically different from any other one and all should do what you’re asking effortlessly. You literally have the perfect job for a drill press, vise and X/Y table. Whichever one costs the least and arrives first will suit you.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

They’re all junk. I cannot say if there was ever a really GOOD X/Y table designed for a drill press. IF there ever was an actual BETTER option in this segment, those ones are worn out and anything currently available is lighter and cheaper. In any real manufacturing scenario what you’re asking for is called either a radial arm drill press or vertical milling machine. That isn’t to say that your indicated purposes aren’t served perfectly well by an X/Y table and vise bolted to your drill press, more to say that literally the first offering you choose isn’t likely to be drastically different from any other one and all should do what you’re asking effortlessly. You literally have the perfect job for a drill press, vise and X/Y table. Whichever one costs the least and arrives first will suit you.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

The name escapes me now, but there was a US-made drill press with a sliding and locking x-y table that worked smoothly. Someone else will know. Well made. Not cheap. Few wanted to spend near as much as an import Bridgeport clone for a drill press. Not the trick for your bamboo poles.

Frankly, if you layout your work (center punched holes, then starting holes with a small or center drill as needed) and have a good drill press vise or two, you're more likely to put holes where you want tha with a $99 import x-y vise. Possibly use drill bushings and jigs as needed - which could be the case if you're actually drilling the ends of a zillion bamboo poles?

For most stuff, I'm partial to a Cardinal speed vise, followed by an Eagle Float Lock or a Heinrich when they better accommodate the work. Once you have a bit of mass and a secure hold, it's pretty easy to put a drill point where you want.

The cheap tables, in addition to crappy gibs and crappy screws rarely have enough space to secure anything but tiny work.

Mastercraft Engineering used to (maybe still do ?)
make X-Y tables with tee slots. I bought one new
20 years ago (wow time flies!) and I use it on a
drill press. (Yes I have like 6 milling machines now) LOL.
It is pretty fair, made in USA. Dovetails are decent and
so are the screws. Top has a flycut finish, and decent overall.
I would recommend one. At least it is not a made in India imoprt.

-Doozer

290360d1591032756-ot-x-y-table-2360-wilton-drill-chrome_2020-06-01_13-31-35.jpg

Back