What's new
What's new

Rebuilding a Continental F227. How to get timing cover off?

ajk2004

Aluminum
Hi guys,
I am rebuilding an F227 continental engine that is out of an old forklift. I am having a hell of a time getting the timing cover off to be able to remove the camshaft, crank, etc... I had no luck consulting the manual and the covers that are on the manual as well as a couple of YouTube videos look different than what I have. I have all of the bolts removed in the cover, but there is a hang up somewhere with the governor or camshaft. I am consulting you guys to see if anybody has worked on something similar and how to get this cover off. I will attach a couple of pictures of where it is getting hung up on. Thanks in advance!

IMG-3936.jpg

Hi guys,
I am rebuilding an F227 continental engine that is out of an old forklift. I am having a hell of a time getting the timing cover off to be able to remove the camshaft, crank, etc... I had no luck consulting the manual and the covers that are on the manual as well as a couple of YouTube videos look different than what I have. I have all of the bolts removed in the cover, but there is a hang up somewhere with the governor or camshaft. I am consulting you guys to see if anybody has worked on something similar and how to get this cover off. I will attach a couple of pictures of where it is getting hung up on. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 332689

That looks like a stud and nut in the white circle and your camshaft pully has to come off. There may be a set screw in the belt groove. Look for the set screw in line with the camshaft shaft keyway on the pulley.
The thread may be seen by more experienced Forklift owners in the Material handling forum. They may visit here also
InkedIMG-3936_LI.jpg
Not familiar but have that engine in mine. I havn't had to work on mine. Just observing the photo

I just did one last year.......I don't remember having any trouble pulling that.......

The bolt nut sticking out is the Gov rocker arm adjustment thing, does not hold the cover on.

Let me think on this

Attachments

• IMG_3276.jpg
    IMG_3276.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 66

Back