What's new
What's new

Recommend 4 fl EM for steel in BP

Conrad Hoffman

Diamond
Looking for a short 4-flute end mill for O1 and mild steel in a Bridgeport. Carbide tends to walk in the collet and the machine isn't all that rigid. I had a Super Tuf years ago that was my favorite EM until I burned it up. Some old Weldons seemed to work pretty good but not sure what to buy today. I don't think what's best for CNC is necessarily best for the BP. Also, I like to run dry if possible, or veggie based oil if not. (diameter is 1/2", though if not too expensive I like 5/8" because it can do the side of a 1/2" plate in a single pass.)

Hi Conrad. I know you didn't just fall off the turnip truck so please forgive me if I state the obvious. I have been using carbide with my BP for some years now but I have to use a dedicated end mill holder instead of collets. There is nothing like having your end mill walk on you in the middle of a critical cut.

Yes, f'd up several parts recently because of a bit of walk. The holders aren't expensive so I should probably try one. Still, I was getting some chipping on the edge of the carbide em and I don't know if a holder would help that. I don't think I'm into machine abuse but time is money so I'm fairly aggressive. We don't do much steel, so the tool selection is limited to 2-flute stuff that hammers the cut. Travers was having a 4-hour flash sale on 4-flute carbide end mills this morning but that's not enough time to process an order here, nor enough time to research if it's the right cutter for me. I was hoping somebody would say, go buy a Weldon, or SGS, or Niagara or something, with such-and-such a coating, as I'm just guessing.

Possibly also stating the obvious, but I commonly use 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 carbide 4-flutes in my BP and have had pretty good results with standard collets. I do cinch them up fairly well. But I have found that one thing that really reduces corner chipping is to use a fine diamond hone to dress off a relieved maybe 15 thou 45 degree flat rather than leave the flute corner extremely sharply pointed as usually supplied unless you pay the premium for radiused corners.

Denis

For steel on a Bridgeport get yourself some 4 flute roughing endmills and walk through the material.
Leave a little extra for cleanup and finish with carbide or HSS tooling. Use an endmill holder for the
roughing operation but you can switch to a collet for finishing if you need the extra accuracy...

to avoid corner chipping, try a .015-.020 corner rad endmill, had great luck with SGS ZCARB stuff even in our TRAK mill along with our machining centers. believe it or not ebay has quite a few listed much cheaper than MSC.

I have one of these in my toolbox that I've used for years for roughing steel in a BP. Not that I use a BP every day or anything. But for fast, smooth removal without beating up my tool or my wrists, this thing is awesome. Helical Tool

Variable helix/flute...

I know its fancy and high end, but it really works.. It works on a giant VMC that
weighs more than a semi truck.. But where they really really shine is on floppy
equipment. Knee Mills... Acrolocs.. Haas's :eek:

Works similar to a rougher.. Breaks up your harmonics.. Which is what kills you
on a light machine.

You could eat up your 1/2" plate with a 3/8" carbide vari flute endmill
(with a corner rad) far faster than you could with a HSS 1/2 or 5/8, and in
the long run, it'll last longer, and be cheaper..

And you can run them dry.

Maritool is a good spot to get a few.. or even one to try it out.

I'd suggest going with a 5 flute .500 or .625 solid carbide variable helix AlTiN coated with .03 corner radius. I have endmills as described that eat 17-4, o1, and low carbon pretty regularly, and still leave an excellent finish on 2024...on a Bridgeport. They will take massive cuts in steel dry. You'd be better served getting a simple air blast rig for the tool steels though

Don't ever buy sharp corner endmills for steel. That corner goes in minutes, but the rest of tool would have lasted days in the cut.

second the tool holder over collet. The travers and msc cheap ones on sale are good enough imo. The Garr 5 flute 3/8 with radius is the beees knees in steel on my bpc. I can hear the knock in the belt it is so quite.
I am no machinist and just learning- but this bit is without question the one that hides all my errors.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 25

Back