Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    ...tend to believe her when she says she'd like to investigate a tablet as alternative. My job is to make sure that it will do what she is intending to do with it.
    Long and short of it is that if she LIKES it, it will do.

Pity you don't have one of the few "Microage" outlets near you. More live options out on tables than anywhere outside of China. One can USE them. For longish periods of time.

They approach sales as if dealing in luxury motorcars - with recognition the customer needs a "fit" the CUSTOMER wants. Not the latest BS-fluff or what their staff think is "cool".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Apples are for people who don't really want to f**k with computers. Want them to be appliances that Just F****g Work. Like coffepots or refrigerators. Not complicated like microwaves or toaster-ovens with all those damned dials and buttons.
    Yes - that would be me, I have enough to do with Java & Postgres databases. Since my clients use everything from Macbooks to Windows 10 I really don't want to know about the o/s except that it works.....

[though having said that, currently it's pissing me off because I can't convince the stupid thing that my new email service providor's IMAP and SMTP addresses, ports et al are valid and I have NFI why...... some security setting no doubt)

WRT tablets, I'm pretty much in the camp of 'if you need a k/board to use it effectively, get a laptop'.

PDW

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    can't convince the stupid thing that my new email service providor's IMAP and SMTP addresses, ports et al are valid and I have NFI why...... some security setting no doubt)
    Probably security ass-ump-tioned, yes. If you leave the protocol at STARTTLS it wants specific ports. Switch to SSL/TLS, it lets you select the other ports.

Seamonkey, Thunderbird, Sylpheed/Claws, and many others I use or supported whilst running high-security MTA. (Exim, Dovecot, Prayer on PostgreSQL bones)

Apple's own MUA needs abandoned and/or rm'ed. First-order POS, spiderwebbed into places it should NOT be.

Country
    NEW ZEALAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MihiT View Post
    Pointless. What SHE wants applies.

Mine was wiser. She'd had nearly 800 staff under her command in an all-WinWOES UK-English/HKG-Chinese bilingual environment. She KNEW how AFU and expensive it was, 'coz it was her IS/IT budget busting her corporate performance chops.

Putting *BSD Unix on her desktop was blessed relief. "Breathed on" Mac's (still a *BSD Unix) came later.

You can no more save a WinSERF from MS adherence than coax dried paint back into a spray gun or teach a pig how to fly an F-105. Don't waste yer time.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi again Zahnrad Kopf:
    Did you make a decision?
    Inquiring minds want to know; especially if the landscape for tablets has change significantly since 2016.

I was generally unimpressed with the capabilities of the selection when I/we bought; the Surface Pro was way ahead of the pack.
    Surely there must also be others out there by now that are more than toys and status symbols.

Cheers

Marcus
    Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
    Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by implmex View Post
    Hi again Zahnrad Kopf:
    Did you make a decision?
    Inquiring minds want to know;
    LOL! "Inquiring minds" want to know a great many things, Marcus.

But this one is a bit of a "Catch 22". An oxymoron, even.

"Inquiring minds", by definition do not run "Windows"!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by implmex View Post
    Hi again Zahnrad Kopf:
    Did you make a decision?
    Inquiring minds want to know; especially if the landscape for tablets has change significantly since 2016.
    I was generally unimpressed with the capabilities of the selection when I/we bought; the Surface Pro was way ahead of the pack.
    Surely there must also be others out there by now that are more than toys and status symbols.
    Cheers
    Marcus
    Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
    Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining
    Hello Old Friend,

Progress, but no finality to the decision. Given the input here, and from speaking with others, we have decided to schedule a trip to BeastBuy to "lay hands on" and test drive an assortment in effort to become more familiar in the tactile sense. I'm bringing a shiv on the off chance that we run into that Cortana bitch. The bottom line is that they will need to feel comfortable using it and no amount of research via Gore's Interwebs will result in knowing any more in that regard.

I will report back with our findings, impressions, and choice once we have done so.

Thanks, Marcus! I appreciate the input and follow up. Speak with you soon.