Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    ...tend to believe her when she says she'd like to investigate a tablet as alternative. My job is to make sure that it will do what she is intending to do with it.
    Long and short of it is that if she LIKES it, it will do.

Pity you don't have one of the few "Microage" outlets near you. More live options out on tables than anywhere outside of China. One can USE them. For longish periods of time.

They approach sales as if dealing in luxury motorcars - with recognition the customer needs a "fit" the CUSTOMER wants. Not the latest BS-fluff or what their staff think is "cool".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Apples are for people who don't really want to f**k with computers. Want them to be appliances that Just F****g Work. Like coffepots or refrigerators. Not complicated like microwaves or toaster-ovens with all those damned dials and buttons.
    Yes - that would be me, I have enough to do with Java & Postgres databases. Since my clients use everything from Macbooks to Windows 10 I really don't want to know about the o/s except that it works.....

[though having said that, currently it's pissing me off because I can't convince the stupid thing that my new email service providor's IMAP and SMTP addresses, ports et al are valid and I have NFI why...... some security setting no doubt)

WRT tablets, I'm pretty much in the camp of 'if you need a k/board to use it effectively, get a laptop'.

PDW

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    can't convince the stupid thing that my new email service providor's IMAP and SMTP addresses, ports et al are valid and I have NFI why...... some security setting no doubt)
    Probably security ass-ump-tioned, yes. If you leave the protocol at STARTTLS it wants specific ports. Switch to SSL/TLS, it lets you select the other ports.

Seamonkey, Thunderbird, Sylpheed/Claws, and many others I use or supported whilst running high-security MTA. (Exim, Dovecot, Prayer on PostgreSQL bones)

Apple's own MUA needs abandoned and/or rm'ed. First-order POS, spiderwebbed into places it should NOT be.

Country
    NEW ZEALAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MihiT View Post
    Pointless. What SHE wants applies.

Mine was wiser. She'd had nearly 800 staff under her command in an all-WinWOES UK-English/HKG-Chinese bilingual environment. She KNEW how AFU and expensive it was, 'coz it was her IS/IT budget busting her corporate performance chops.

Putting *BSD Unix on her desktop was blessed relief. "Breathed on" Mac's (still a *BSD Unix) came later.

You can no more save a WinSERF from MS adherence than coax dried paint back into a spray gun or teach a pig how to fly an F-105. Don't waste yer time.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi again Zahnrad Kopf:
    Did you make a decision?
    Inquiring minds want to know; especially if the landscape for tablets has change significantly since 2016.

I was generally unimpressed with the capabilities of the selection when I/we bought; the Surface Pro was way ahead of the pack.
    Surely there must also be others out there by now that are more than toys and status symbols.

Cheers

Marcus
    Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
    Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by implmex View Post
    Hi again Zahnrad Kopf:
    Did you make a decision?
    Inquiring minds want to know;
    LOL! "Inquiring minds" want to know a great many things, Marcus.

But this one is a bit of a "Catch 22". An oxymoron, even.

"Inquiring minds", by definition do not run "Windows"!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi again Zahnrad Kopf:
    Did you make a decision?
    Inquiring minds want to know; especially if the landscape for tablets has change significantly since 2016.
    I was generally unimpressed with the capabilities of the selection when I/we bought; the Surface Pro was way ahead of the pack.
    Surely there must also be others out there by now that are more than toys and status symbols.
    Cheers
    Marcus
    Hello Old Friend,

Progress, but no finality to the decision. Given the input here, and from speaking with others, we have decided to schedule a trip to BeastBuy to "lay hands on" and test drive an assortment in effort to become more familiar in the tactile sense. I'm bringing a shiv on the off chance that we run into that Cortana bitch. The bottom line is that they will need to feel comfortable using it and no amount of research via Gore's Interwebs will result in knowing any more in that regard.

I will report back with our findings, impressions, and choice once we have done so.

Thanks, Marcus! I appreciate the input and follow up. Speak with you soon.

9. Likes bryan_machine liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thermite wrote: "Inquiring minds", by definition do not run "Windows"!

HEYYYY: I resemble that remark!!

Are you suggesting I'm a brainless Windoze captive perhaps?

Well you'd be right but that's only because I'm a reluctant computer guy at the best of times and I've always just gone where the current takes me.
    I curse, I swear, but I still have to go down the stream that all the mainstream software takes me without too much brain effort.

That makes me a lazy bitch I know, but I got shit to do, and no time to be jacking around with my software any more than the minimum necessary to keep it all moving forward.

XP was a golden age as far as I'm concerned; all has been downhill since then and Windows 10 has been like a drop off a cliff if I try to balance between useful features and hoop jumps.
    It was so easy back then; nice simple software, stable even, and no shitty surprises at every boot up.
    No spyware, minimal crapware, no intrusive wrench bending on my install without my permission...it was SOOO sweet.

Gawd, I sound like a Gomer complaining about the younger generation.

Cheers

Marcus

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi again Zahnrad Kopf:
    How do you plan to evaluate Microcrap Orifice and Quackbooks on the various machines on offer?
    I had to install and run them to understand what little I know about them.

Of course the Surface comes with a trial version of Office 365 you can play with right in the store.
    Do any of the others have that software already on board?
    I ask because my experience has been that the limitations become apparent only when the software is actually installed: I was reassured several times by several sales dudes that Solidworks would run "just fine" on the Surface, based on the specs rather than the real experience.
    Surprise, surprise: NFW!, and of course, now it's too late.

Cheers

Marcus

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thermite wrote: "Inquiring minds", by definition do not run "Windows"!

HEYYYY: I resemble that remark!!

Are you suggesting I'm a brainless Windoze captive perhaps?
    Not really.

Bright enough as people in all sorts of things WinSERFS can be. Very few of them "dummies".

Windows Lusers just stopped paying any attention to alternatives, got used to Windows, warts and all, and turned their attention and brain-power to other matters.

Kinda like just putting up with high property taxes, nasty neighbors, and really shitty commuter traffic for thirty or forty years instead of moving house or changing jobs.

You get used to it. You defend it. You see everyone else in sight as just as f***d as you are, so it must be "normal". You politic for better roads, bitch about careless drivers and cost of fuel, insurance, and repairs. You claim there is no choice, you must go that route because you need to stop and shop for this or that ON the route as cannot be found anywhere else.

You don't even consider there might be some other existence. "Improvement" just isn't that high of a priority after the habit sets in.

Those who were pickier about all those rudenesses and expensive annoyances kept their "inquiring minds" looking further until they discovered that they didn't actually HAVE TO "get used to" Windows after all! And never had.

Mind - those among us who predated even Microsoft BASIC in ROM and MSDOS 1.X knew that all along.

We have made more than just a few sheckels off the Win-victims - an economic bottomless well of need as that has been - all the while using better stuff for our OWN use!

Not the SAME stuff, year-on-year, either, BTW.

They all have "warts"!

Yah just have to keep minimizing their negative impact on yer life and harvesting the improvements.

It pays-off economically, too, avoiding Windows in commercial as well as personal life.

As heavy a component as IS/IT has been for us, mid 1970's onward? I'm dead-certain we would be easily be 2 to 4 million USD less affluent, net worth wise, than we actually are.

Not about what we - our employers, actually - spent on software or not. That was about business targets we could not have met with dicking around working for Windows instead of having efficient and reliable tools to support the needs that worked for us.

And we got to retire before age 50, both my wife and I as well.

That part might not have happened AT ALL, let alone lucratively, had we let our firms become ensnared in the feeding of the Winparasites instead of feeding themselves.

Microsoft dependence has economic similarities to having the burden of chronic water leaks, uninsulated homes, drafty windows, slipping transmissions, clogged air filters, or even intestinal parasites.

Your resources are constantly being leaked away to some other entity's benefit.

Just never by enough in one go that you take enough notice to do something to stop the bleeding. After all, every one else has the same problem so it must be "normal"!

But the money is still GONE! It adds up. And the opportunities missed while MESSING with Windows, its viruses, virus checkers, cobbled updates, broken applications, adware, spyware and and malware adds up too!

Avoidable. All of that.

Last time I ran a "virus checker" for my OWN use was on OS/2 Warp Server 3.X. That was only for the Win Apps it supported. Warp Server 4.X, I just ditched the last of the Win compatibility stuff, and never needed one again.

Clear up to the present day.

My company "Quickbooks"?

Installed to a virtualized image, stripped to the bare walls on then-new Win NT SP3. Run on everything since. ONE image conversion moving-off an Alpha program I was a player in, Virtual PC for OS/2 to Qemu. No change SINCE!

OS/2, Slackware Linux, DEB&IAN, G4 OSX, FreeBSD, DragonFly BSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, OSX WintelMac, OpenBSD again.

No changes.

Accounting records rock solid the whole long span of years. It JFW.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Marcus,

Good questions, each. You're in my head again, lately. Crowded in here, too.

We run Office 2010 because we both cannot stand what they've done to it, since then. So, little worry there that most any of them will run it. I really would love to go back to Open Office for this stuff, but we have a fair amount of document templates and documents created from them that need to be converted and massaged to work correctly. So far, I've not had the time to apply the effort. It's been a few years now, so that should give you some insight into how quickly that is being addressed.

As for Quackbooks, I have been informed that she does not care if it runs on there or not. She's evidently been doing something else with the Accountant that makes it less of an imperative than I was under the impression of. Plus, ( as has been pointed out ) there exists the capability to remote the desktop to the tablet if she positively wishes to get inside QB.

So, as long as it allows the basics relatively simply and easily, it doesn't appear that it should be too insurmountable a task to accomplish.

That only leaves email, browser, PDF viewer/reader, and maybe the books she likes to read on her Kindle. Simple, hey? Yeah... we'll see... ... ...

I feel your pain about SW. There was a time that I went to the trouble to make it work in Linux. I was a happy man. Never had to touch a MacroShaft product for a few years, and loved it. Unfortunately, in this trade, it's extremely difficult to avoid them now, and my time and efforts are better directed at other things, to be sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post

Mind - those among us who predated even Microsoft BASIC in ROM and MSDOS 1.X knew that all along.

We have made more than just a few sheckels off the Win-victims - an economic bottomless well of need as that has been - all the while using better stuff for our OWN use!
    Yeah all of that - I learnt to program on a Control Data Cyber 76 using punched cards and FORTRAN 4. It was a blast.

The Windoze people don't have the history but also - they just want to get their jobs done. I understand that - had to do some work on a Win10 box the other day.

I opened a black window and started typing - was a hell of a lot faster than dealing with that fsck'ed GUI. Win XP was the last decent version of their OS, IMO. Vista was the last straw for me.

WRT tablets I simply can't really warm to them. I have one (Android), I use it occasionally, don't really like it. The Surface Pro may well be the best of the bunch, I still don't like it. Rather have a laptop like a Macbook Air. I can (and do) run a 50Gb Postgres database on one of those. In fact I just installed the latest snapshot of it yesterday along with the latest Postgres release.

PDW

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    Yeah all of that - I learnt to program on a Control Data Cyber 76 using punched cards and FORTRAN 4. It was a blast.
    IBM 701, "donated" time, Sundays, to a small krew of our school's brighter pre-teens, (thank you, McGraw Edison), Hollerith. Machine-code. And it was TEDIOUS!

One of the others the retired Chief Technologist, US Navy Nuke propulsion program. Couple of major-player Aerospace VP's, came out of that "Science Club" too. Kids used to GIVE A SHIT!

My *BSD CLI's are colour-coded, not black. Have to handle Chinese characters now and then. Or NOT.

I just installed the latest snapshot of it yesterday along with the latest Postgres release.

PDW
    I have to laff as the MouseSqueal DB under PM constantly needing its burlap underwear disentangled from outta the KSR 15 teletype gearing.

Ran my last production PostgreSQL 6 years without upgrade and no more maintenance than what it does on its own hook. Exim, Dovecot, Prayer, Pond, Hiawatha. After I TO'ed the client base and retired (again), there was nobody using it but Ich and a close mate - retired Chairman, AS Watsons - and our wives.

Sorta like swatting houseflies with Whiskey-three-ones, that rig was. It had begun life as an anti-spam methodology R&D test-bed!

Part of that was a crusade for SIMPLICITY, not "DKIM" and sech masturbatory foolishness, and to prove Jon Postel & krew had got it right day one by including BIND by inference.

No PTR match at CONNECT? Drop the connection.

Stats showed that killed 89% of all UCE & malware, first fraction of a second, no significant resource load, 'coz 'botnets can't pass it.

That had been there in SMTP all along because SMTP is "public facing" and BIND required a PTR for such services.

Go figure...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Samsung's Galaxy Note Tab 4 was just released - about $800 with keyboard/cover, a gorgeous AMOLED display, optional LTE and up to 1 TB of storage. It supposedly runs some MS apps though something called "Dex", whatever that is.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henry View Post
    Samsung's Galaxy Note Tab 4 was just released - about $800 with keyboard/cover, a gorgeous AMOLED display, optional LTE and up to 1 TB of storage. It supposedly runs some MS apps though something called "Dex", whatever that is.
    AFAICS, DeX isn't an MS OS "virtualizer". Just an interface remoter / expander. Similar in function to an X desktop or even Windows OWN remoters.

Compatible MS App choices would be very limited.