What's new
What's new

Recommend a live center

clarnibass

Aluminum
Hi

I wasn't sure if this is the best sub-forum... I think sub-forums may have changed since the last time I posted here.

I'm looking for a small live center to allow room for some tools to get close. My regular most used live center is a Nakane specifically for this reason. I think I got it after a recommendation on this forum and it's very good.

I thought about the Nakane TP model but can't find it anywhere LF model

However I'm going to buy a Concentric spring loaded live center and wondering if this could be a good alternative. I've never used a spring loaded center before and most of my use for it is different. I don't work on very heavy materials anyway. I'm wondering if the spring center can work well for this, negating my need for a small nose live center (whatever it is called... sorry it is my second language).

Otherwise I'm looking for suggestions for good quality "narrow end" live centers...
Rohm and Royal are two companies that are available locally but for some reason they are extremely expensive here (much more than in the USA for example).
However I can order from the USA in this case, but Royal even in the USA is more than I'd like to spend on this.

Thank you for any suggestions

Both pieces out on the end are homemade. I bored a .5000 hole in the end of the bigger piece and make new .4995 tips with smaller points. I use CPM toolsteel to make the smaller inserts. Works good for what we do.

Brent

I believe the Concentric is now made by Royal Products Royal Spring-Type Live Centers. I've owned 2 by Concentric and 1 by Royal. They are almost identical, except that the Royal is a bit of an upgrade because it has an oil seal up front. The MT3 versions that I use have a substantial workpiece weight rating (I think around 950lbs, don't have time to look it up). They are the centers I use every day, mainly for the clearance. You can't go wrong with either, assuming new or otherwise suitable condition.

I also use Concentrics. Besides not getting the way, you have less hanging out from the quill and less chatter making flex. Spring loading is a good feature when taking a heavy cut on a long bar that expands from heat.

Bill

You "got me" :)
Though you'll notice that back then I needed a center with a larger diameter for the tapered area, to support tubes with a larger hole. Now I need a smaller center to allow room for tools closer to center than my Nakane allows. Very different things...
I decided to go with the Concentric one, seems to be what I need.

Last edited:

Back