What's new
What's new

Recommendation needed: Aluminum Saws

Houdini

Titanium
hello all, I need a recommendation for a Aluminum bar stock saw for CNC machine shop.
I have used in the past machine shop automatic band saw's, but the blade speeds are always limited so it is a slow process.
I currently use a 12" wood cutting miter saw, I was using one of the 14" dry cutting metal saws, but once again the rpm's are for steel, cut too slow.
I would like to currently while the shop is small just buy a manual aluminum saw with carbide tipped blades high rpms, and coolant system.
but in about a year i want something fully automatic.
these are for aluminum only
i will buy a automatic band saw for steel later, i dont do any steel currently, so the manual dry saw is usable.

I dont want to buy any chinese import junk, something I buy once.

Thanks for your help.

I like the HEM automatic, it is simple and reliable, the speed is slow I guess but it is always faster than I can run the blanks in 8 cnc machines.

KALAMAZOO 5" AUTOMATIC Non-Farrous SAW, 41/2"x6", model FA-350A | eBay

been using one of these for 26 years

If you are staying manual, I used a chop saw for several years and I imagine what you are doing will work for a while

Just like 2 axis CNC, manual saws are not production friendly

Get something you can walk away from

The pictured saw will cut 3 lengths of 1/2x4 6061 into 5 inch pieces in I dunno, 15 minutes, less, while you do something else

a zero rake triple chip blade is what works well on Aluminum

If you are staying manual, I used a chop saw for several years and I imagine what you are doing will work for a while

The pictured saw will cut 3 lengths of 1/2x4 6061 into 5 inch pieces in I dunno, 15 minutes, less, while you do something else

Thank You, this is exactly the type of saw I need, the auto feed bandsaws most shops use are great for steel or plate, but we do 99% Aluminum bar stock under >4" Dia
So a carbide tipped high speed blade and high feed CNC system like this is the ticket, Thanks.
We are already using a 0 rake triple chip blade, i wanted to try a expensive German blade to see if it was worth the $150, and it was.

11 minutes more or less, not including stub, just ran some
This saw is pneumatic and limit switches, no computer. There used to be a digital electronic parts counter but we never used it and it died years ago.

It will hold .01 without paying any attention. IF you try to hold 5, you need to pay attention. the first part will be random, then you can get it dialed in, but as the bar gets shorter it gets lighter and the parts start getting shorter[IF I have a +- .005 dim, I want to see my parts +2 to 3] you also might get a chip on a switch and see a part a few thou under so you learn not to panic and see what the next part looks like. Then the last few part, if they are shorter than the shuttle vise, will be long, because the little slop in the vise acts to push them a tiny bit.

a long winded way of saying some of the newer actual CNC stuff might be a little more sophisticated, and the last time I did anything like tat was before I had a toolchanger, and wanted to avoid milling anything to avoid the toolchange or setup

If you are in the market for a manual setup, these guys made a good product back when I bought this:

MGS 72/30 Mitre saw - Elumatec

High-speed aluminum cutting, but manual for sure. I had been using a Delta miter saw for a year or so to cut up 20ft extrusions, with a lot of 80mm x 80mm heavy-wall stuff. The Elumatech unit with support outriggers made that job way. way easier. Nice and accurate.

Back