Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default recommendations for automated pipe cutting and drilling please

Hi, I've been working for several years to keep a small (30 employees) fabrication shop up and running with various machinery repairs/ problem solving/ upgrades/ etc. Their product line has been around for many years, and is currently built on decades old jigs, where every step is hands on moving the stock. The basic stock for several models of fixture is 1" schedule 40 pipe that comes in 20' lengths, and has to be cut manually with a cold saw, and then various holes drilled at different spacing. As you can imagine it takes several trips with several machines to cut and drill each piece. But, they have been doing it this way for years because it works, and the niche market has supported them. However, at this pace, they will never get enough done to keep inventory, and everything will remain built to order..
    So, does a machine exist that could cut and drill the pieces? Essentially taking stock lengths and turning them into cut, drilled components, that maybe only needed to be de-burred? They are set to move to a new 35,000 sf location, and it would make sense to NOT move a dozen antique drill presses, if they could be replaced by a single machine.
    I know my way around a shop, but the world of automated/ cnc machinery is completely foreign to me. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would contact the cold saw manuf's, kalamazoo, Kasto, and the like.

Inquire about a cold saw with automated feeder, and see if they can integrate a suigino
    drill head into their machine.

GAA-5 9 DT 2 | Cold Saw | Scotchman Industries

Granted it's for non ferrous, but inquire anyways.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do a lot of tube notching with a 4 axis cnc plasma table

A machine specific to tubing would probably do it for them. This is a popular machine, but I am not specifically recommending it. Industrial ones might have auto feed options. Can cut flat on both ends and cut any shape hole through the sidewall.

CNC PIPE CUTTERS - CNC Plasma Cutters

4. Likes jancollc, JRIowa liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nerdyrcdriver View Post
    I do a lot of tube notching with a 4 axis cnc plasma table

A machine specific to tubing would probably do it for them. This is a popular machine, but I am not specifically recommending it. Industrial ones might have auto feed options. Can cut flat on both ends and cut any shape hole through the sidewall.

CNC PIPE CUTTERS - CNC Plasma Cutters
    I like it.

However the OP needs to indicate what kind of cut quality is acceptable.
    For example, the cut off from the plasma might not work if the pipe needs threaded
    after. ('Course it might prove just fine)

The CNC plasma would allow the "holes" to now be other shapes like slots, squares,
    triangles if it would help the product.

6. Likes nerdyrcdriver liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I like it.

However the OP needs to indicate what kind of cut quality is acceptable.
    For example, the cut off from the plasma might not work if the pipe needs threaded
    after. ('Course it might prove just fine)

The CNC plasma would allow the "holes" to now be other shapes like slots, squares,
    triangles if it would help the product.
    My experience thus far with our setup (not like the one I linked above) is that you can get nearly no dross with the perfect settings. But there is always at least some cleanup to be done. Our rotary axis is slow, and I can do 3ft tubes with complex notches at each end in under a minute. Make those straight cuts on the end and add some holes and it should be about the same. Tubing specific machines are much faster than ours.

The same can be done on a water jet resulting in a higher cut quality. But I've never seen it other than a couple of promotional videos. My main concern would be accidentally shooting straight through the other side or possibly damaging it. But this video shows that they submerged the tube for cutting. I'm guessing the water in the tube is enough (at least in this case) to keep that from happening.

OMAX(R) Rotary Axis Abrasive Waterjet Accessory - YouTube

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A little more info:
    The longest length is 80", and the holes range from 1/4" to 3/8". Most of the cut ends get inserted into a custom key/clamp type bracket, so the cut quality is not critical. I will have to ask what tolerance is acceptable for the holes..
    Thanks this far. The plasma is sweet, but I have no idea if the tolerances would be accurate enough. The water jet, well wow! But I know that water jet is out of their budget, at least for now.
    Another concern, is that the pipe finish is galvanized, which probably eliminates the plasma..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Plasma & galvanized....The local fence company uses a "cold galvanizing" spray
    to touch up the welds & plasma cuts.

There are 2 kinds:
    1. 97% zinc, darker grey color.
    2. little Less zinc, aluminum powder added, for "color match".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by badwithusernames View Post
    A little more info:
    The longest length is 80", and the holes range from 1/4" to 3/8". Most of the cut ends get inserted into a custom key/clamp type bracket, so the cut quality is not critical. I will have to ask what tolerance is acceptable for the holes..
    Thanks this far. The plasma is sweet, but I have no idea if the tolerances would be accurate enough. The water jet, well wow! But I know that water jet is out of their budget, at least for now.
    Another concern, is that the pipe finish is galvanized, which probably eliminates the plasma..
    With a good quality machine, plasma can actually hold pretty good tolerances, especially if the holes are just clearance for bolts or pegs. Now, if you are trying to press fit through them, then you might as well just do it another way. Plasma cutting hardens the material where it is cut, which makes drilling or reaming it to size is a pain.

Plasma has no problem cutting galvanized. However, the human body is strongly opposed to the resulting fumes. Like the flu on steroids. I was mildly sick when I cut some questionable material when I was just learning plasma. I had opened the garage door to the shop and put fans in. Set it to cut and left the building. Came back several minutes after the cut was done and still ended up miserable.

Knowingly plasma cutting large quantities of galvanize would likely require some vastly expensive ventilation system and expensive respiratory PPE for all employees.

Yeah, a 6 axis water jet is probably mortgage level costs. You can definitley get away with 4 or maybe even 3 programmable axis. But a water jet with a rotary axis for the material around 80 inches might not even exist.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are you off to IMTS or FABTEC? You should be.

Here's what I've seen and from what it sounds like what you're doing, would work fine for you.
    Tube & Pipe Laser Cutting Machines
    Han's Laser Pipe Cutting,Laser tube cutting,Pipe laser cutting,tube laser

I got to see a huge Mazak doing 12" square tubing. There's a bunch of stuff out there. Set yourself a budget and see what you come up with. It's going to be expensive, so you'll probably need to look at running 2 shifts minimum. Most of the machine builders will help you with justification. To me, that would be a really fun project.
    JR

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There’s loads from cut punch right through to cnc tube laser set ups, very high capital expenditure
    Mark