What's new
What's new

recommendations machining hy-100 steel

akajun

Stainless
looking for info or experience with hy100 steel, specifically speeds and feeds, not much out there on it.
material is in the quenched and tempered state
reducing 40 pieces from 1/4" to 3/16"
equipment is a lagun ftv2
with 2" face mill or standard carbide endmills
mist coolant
is this even doable on this manual machine? Ive heard this stuff work hardens?

looking for info or experience with hy100 steel, specifically speeds and feeds, not much out there on it.
material is in the quenched and tempered state
reducing 40 pieces from 1/4" to 3/16"
equipment is a lagun ftv2
with 2" face mill or standard carbide endmills
mist coolant
is this even doable on this manual machine? Ive heard this stuff work hardens?

If it would fit on the table, a Blanchard grinder would work better.

We have only cut it on the water jet, but I would probably look at recommended cutting parameters for 100XF or even A514 and see how that goes.

I've done very little HY-100 but lots of HY-80 for the Govt and always with humorless inspectors at your shoulder. And for decades both materials were well guarded secrets. For pressure vessels (it's primary use) the claim to fame is that with pressure and thermal cycling it's not prone to stress cracking.

HY-80 being the more mild mannered sibling and it's right on the edge of what you want to work with on any manual machine for critical work.

Lacking a job sheet with everything rigidly called out, I'm with these other guys, Water Jet, Laser, track torch etc for cutting. Govt work spec'd a lot of sawing grinding and planing operations. And yes it work hardens. IF you are doing pressure vessels, that's a fail.

If you are machining HY-100 (or HY-80), keep the chip load high so the cutting force is well back of the tool edge, and effective coolant. Meaning coolant needs to be at the chip tool interface not just atop the chip.

For what you want to do, Blanchard grinding would be the preferred Rx.

Cyclotronguy

I have machined HY-130 to make small shafts and T-nuts. I'd say it machines about like 4340 pre-hard. It is definitely doable on manual machines with cutters designed for tough steel using recommended cutting parameters. Use stiff cutters, toolholders, and workholding.

Back