What's new
What's new

Recommendations for Sand Blasting Cabinet

Hi All!
Thanks to those who gave me feedback on making some rollers for a tracked excavator. I asked to come take a look at what he had and never heard back from him. I'm hoping he found some cheap! Now I have another question.

I'm in need of a sand blasting cabinet. Something moderately big that probably stands alone on the floor. Looking around maybe a $2000 range(???). Any recommendations?!

Thanks!
Tom

When I did that for a living, cabinets made by Clemco, Zero (my favorite) were the best. For my home shop, I have a Trinco. Had it for almost 20 yrs, and its been trouble free. You need a big compressor though.

Hi All!
Thanks to those who gave me feedback on making some rollers for a tracked excavator. I asked to come take a look at what he had and never heard back from him. I'm hoping he found some cheap! Now I have another question.

I'm in need of a sand blasting cabinet. Something moderately big that probably stands alone on the floor. Looking around maybe a $2000 range(???). Any recommendations?!

Thanks!
Tom

When I did that for a living, cabinets made by Clemco, Zero (my favorite) were the best. For my home shop, I have a Trinco. Had it for almost 20 yrs, and its been trouble free. You need a big compressor though.

I have a Trinco as well, trouble free other than the gloves?

BTW, they're manufactured in Fraser, Michigan.......you could pick it up at the plant and save on shipping?

Kevin

Make sure you have an air compressor that can keep up with it, they use air like no tomorrow.

I bought my Trinco 36" blast cabinet and dust collector about 40 years ago. I have replaced the gloves a couple times, the nozzle once, and the glass and clear plastic sheets a few times. Last time I got new alox grit and glass beads, I bought them at the local Harbor Freight store to save on shipping.

A 5 HP 80 gallon two-stage compressor is required. Mine has lost compression over the years and no longer keeps up with the blaster.

Larry

Another satisfied Trinco owner here.

First thing to do is line the interior with rubber sheeting.
We used some leftover roofing material.
I will not have enough life expectancy to wear it out after that...

Next take the plastic "Window" and cover it with stretch wrap on both sides.
Costs nearly Nothing to do, and replace as often as needed.
The plastic sheet will now last almost forever, and you always have a clear view.
Same for the sheet that covers the light bulbs.

If you're the DYI type, go to TIP sand basting and buy their build plans and window/glove/drain door kit. It takes one or two sheets (sorry can't remember) of plywood to make yourself a 48 X 23+something ID cabinet. I covered the upper area of mine with sheet metal (the rubber mentioned sounds good too) and welded up a table out of square tube. Welded up some angle iron for the legs and put rollers on it. You'll be sitting there with a cabinet and plenty of money left over to buy that pressure pot that was mentioned Even the cheapy Northern Tool ones work fine. Though the bigger the better. The least fun part of sand blasting is re-filling the pot. :-)

You can also have a siphon feed in the same cabinet no problem. But pressure pot is the way to go. Saves air too as you don't have to run the pressure as high as siphon. My TIP cabinet is easily 20+ years old and still going. If you're right handed, don't forget to buy yourself a spare left handed glove. You'll eventually shoot holes in it.

Personally I say forget the fancy guns if using a pressure pot. They'll wear your hand out holding the trigger in. A simple lever valve with the ceramic tip attachment fitting works great. Plus it's a lot smaller and streamlined, making easier to get into tighter places.

Finally I suggest using a 5HP 60/80 gallon compressor minimum! And the plastic sheet business mentioned is a must too. Nothing like a crystal clear view into a blast cabinet.

I have an Empire Airblast and have been pretty happy with it. Time to replace the gloves. They are 13 years old. I replaced the suction hose a few years ago, nozzles every few years. I have used Black Beauty, Walnut shells, Garnet, etc.

Mine is an older version of this with a dust collector/separator.
https://products.empire-airblast.com/item/blast-cabinets/ergo-blast-cabinets/ergo-2636

Runs fine on my 80gal IR compressor.

Thanks all. I need it mainly for blasting to prep for powder coating. I just finished building an oven so now I can do bigger parts. I looked at the Trinco cabinets. Looks like the 36" is a popular one. I like Kevin's idea. They're only about an hour from me so I'll have to see if I can pick one up directly....if I go that way. Like a lot of you said, I need a lot of air! I probably do need beckerkumm's compressor recommendation. I'm currently looking at updating my compressor. I currently have an old 5HP 60gal compressor but its paid its dues. Looking at a screw compressor because the piston 2-stage is so loud. I need to update to a little higher CFM too. Right now the CNC plasma table keeps it running a lot and if I decide to add a blast cabinet, it will burst into flames!

There is a place in Plainwell that makes blast cabinets that look pretty well made. A screw type compressor is best when it runs all the time. If your use is intermittant you want a piston type. Larger pump running slowly. A duplex is nice too. Two pumps sharing a large tank. Two Quincy QR 390 at 10 hp each and switched separately can be found used for a reasonable price. Dave

I like Kelco. Integral dust collector works well enough so I can use it in my shop occasionally. Built like a tank from 14 gauge steel. Mine is suction not pressure but it works well. Floor pedal for air!

Incidentally you can use a small air jet/nozzle and consume less CFM.

+1 for kelco.
I have a ch30 pressure blast cabinet, with 15hp of air compressors feeding it.
If this is a hobby a suction fed gun can provide adequate blasting rates, however if this is to make money you need to buy something with a pressure pot built in. The pressure pot is a more efficient blasting method AKA you will sandblast faster with a given amount of air.

The pressure pot units typically come in two flavors.

one with a pot located directly below the hopper, so the media falls back into the pot when the pedal is released. These typically have a dust collector built directly into the cabinet.
Pros: simplicity, there is one moving part on the entire unit. small footprint units
Cons: Blasting pressure takes a few seconds to build, and about 10-15 seconds to bleed down once the pedal is released. The media isn’t fully filtered so dust will tend to accumulate within the media as it breaks down. Basically the dust collector is just cycling air through the unit.

Units with a remote mount pot and a separate dust extraction/separator unit.
Pros: better media filtration, this can be useful when blasting with a media that breaks down quickly. All of the blast media is sucked out of the cabinet and ran through a cyclone separator. The good media is dropped back on top of the pressure pot, the dust is sent to a dust collector. Also the foot pedal is more responsive because the pot is always pressurized, and they use a pneumatic pinch valve to turn the flow on and off.
Cons: way more complicated, there is a pneumatic circuit which controls pot pressure and media flow with a series of pneumatically actuated valves. When they break they can be a PITA to troubleshoot and there are more wear items. More floor space.

Personally I would go with a kelco, phenomenal build quality, dead simple operation, good technical documentation and a parts guy that actually picks up the phone.

Oh, don’t forget about dry air.

My 2 cents.

Kelco CH36C Pressure Blast Cabinet | eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another satisfied Trinco owner here.

First thing to do is line the interior with rubber sheeting.
We used some leftover roofing material.
I will not have enough life expectancy to wear it out after that...

Next take the plastic "Window" and cover it with stretch wrap on both sides.
Costs nearly Nothing to do, and replace as often as needed.
The plastic sheet will now last almost forever, and you always have a clear view.
Same for the sheet that covers the light bulbs.

I never thought about a tear off on the window but that's a great idea. I'm due to replace the window on my cabinet sand blaster soon and will be using that tip and keeping a roll of stretch wrap close by.

Back