What's new
What's new

Recommendations for tooling heat treatment furnace that is programmable?

jscpm

Titanium
Our Cress has bit the dust, so I want to move into the 22nd century with the new heat treatment oven and hope somebody can give recommendations. The criteria I am looking for:

* The smaller the better. Often I will be heat treating only a single tool at a time, so the chamber can be pretty small. This oven is just for tooling, not bars or anything like that.

* Price is no object. I want the best possible quality. My experience is you get what you pay for.

* Good reliable keypad programmability is key. I do not want remote or wifi programmability. I want the unit to be self-contained and not require some 2nd device to work. For example, Evenheat has two different controllers that are pretty interesting. One is the Rampmaster 3 which has a keypad and the other is TAP which is touchscreen. The Evenheats are pretty big ovens however, since they are for knives.

* Being able to reach higher temperatures like 2400 is desirable.

I see that McMaster offers a tooling heat treat oven with a "touch screen" but no further information and no brand name, so I didn't want to order something without a better idea of how good it might be.

The only thing I might offer is that the keypad devices have held up better in my shop then touchscreen. Might just be the luck of the draw but that has been my experience. Also you can usually fix a keypad device yourself. Touchscreen probably not.

talk to this guy:

Shadon HKW - YouTube

he makes 4 different programable units.

a small
a small double stack so you can heat treat then temper w/out waiting to cool down
a larger unit
a vertical unit (mostly used for forge melting).

There are different programmable units avail as well, and he has added some argon feeds to eliminate having to wrap the parts

Back