What's new
What's new

Recommended lube for Jacobs Super Chuck rebuild

PT Doc

Cast Iron
I had a USA 18N chuck that was difficult to open, so I pressed in a part, degreased everything and used Super Lube as the grease on the innards. It is very smooth now but it seems like maybe the Super Lube was too thick. I bought a unused NOS USA 18N, and that chuck just spins open really easily. I don’t think it was messed with. It must have a heavy oil or thin grease inside. The Jacobs chuck rebuild info says to use a “good grade of grease.” Kind of vague. Super Lube is NLGI 2. I have a bunch of options in my shop. I have Mobil synthetic NLGI 1 and 2 grease, Mobil Vactra 2 way oil ISO VG 68, Mobil DTE 24 hydraulic oil light, hydraulic oil AW ISO 32, white lithium grease, 50 wt oil, 10 wt oil, 5w30 and 10w30 motor oil.

I just got a USA NOS Jacobs 11N that is really sticky. I want to get this little guy running nice and smooth. What lube would you recommend that will allow the collar to spin easily but be effective on keeping the bits inside well lubed? Thanks in advance.

I don't know what the factory recommends, but I would use 00 grease (double ought). It is available from your local Snapper lawn mower dealer or online. It is like a heavy oil. Tacky enough, but will still flow. Snapper uses it in some transmissions.

JH

I have rebuilt many of these chucks, bearing filler slot and new style Super Chuck, using the red Mobil synthetic as a lube. Soft and light body - bearing grease. Don't remember the product number.
Worst case was when the chuck was dropped on the table or floor with jaws extended. Then the teeth on the nut would break.
John

I like Superlube products, but the grease is probably too stiff for this. I like my chucks to spin freely and would probably try Superlube oil with PTFE. I suspect you could also blend them for the desired viscosity.

As the old saying goes, "A little dab goes a long ways" That's all you need to apply when rebuilding any drill chuck. I usually apply a molly-disulfate based grease to the jaw scrolls an nut halves. Then install the balls, last a dab of the red based or good bearing grease to the balls. Last, put back together. The trick is not to apply too much grease, or it will be stiff to turn and start spewing out grease every time you turn on the spindle.. And over time, build up in the ID of the chuck and collect shavings and crud. Then your back to square one rebuilding your chuck again.

Best thing I've found for this type job is a light specialty grease from Milwaukee, used on the hammer and associated parts in their rotary hammer products. It is perfect for the steel on steel movement in a drill chuck, and it stays put under extreme conditions over long periods as evidenced by the reliability of their heavily used tools.

Milwaukee part no: 49-08-4255

Back