Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    This is where I would start out.
    Titanium Nitride Coated End Mill Set 20 Pc
    Perhaps a strange view from someone who makes cutting tools but no sense learning on higher priced stuff IMO and yes I have used up a few sets of them myself.
    Not great but workable and way cheap, giving you a lot of sizes to work with.
    Later you can buy some name brand 3/16 or whatever as ones and twos as you burn them up.
    Bob.
    ABSOLUTELY! Particularly as a newbie, you need to dive in and make some mistakes to get the hang of things. Burning up endmills has been an important part of my learning process.

I'd climb onto the CDCO site and buy the 20-piece set for $58: CDCO Machinery Corp. In fact, I'm going to do that right now myself because my stash of "disposables" is running low.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the great and varied advice, a 'bit' of which wasn't helpful, yet humbling. Don't worry, I like making mistakes fast, learning speed is enhanced that way. I know this is a professional forum and I am not, yet the advice I get has always been very helpful. I can actually make beautiful 316 SS threaded shoulder bolts (with threads right up to the shoulder) without crashing or waisting a tool from work hardening the SS. I certainly didn't do it on my first try, and my speed isn't up to professional levels ;-/ Now I will venture off to do some small milling, oh yeah, on my Clausing lathe (5914)! That's sure to get some shrugs and rash comments ;-) It's not ridgid and I certainly know the risk of trying to do some climb milling on a lathe (I won't be doing that). Wish me luck!!!! I'm going to get some inexpensive 1/8" to 1/2" uncoated HSS cutters (4 and 2 flute, Center Cutting). Any additional suggests, a 'bit' more humiliation, or just wish me luck and safe learning experiences? Thanks again!

3. Likes t.jones, Dupa3872 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Frank Ford

Are the CDCO sets center cutting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm primarily a woodworker, and I think you'll find the mill really useful for making precision cuts in wood also, using end mills. Don't let the relatively low speed worry you, the mass, rigidity and controlled feed more than make up for it.

I cut a fair amount of aluminum, and my favorite cutter is a 1", 6 flute, 5/8" shank, HSS or Cobalt endmill from OSG or Weldon. They work great in wood too. I also use flycutters with hss cutters for large surfaces.

Have fun with your mill, and you are on the absolute best machinist's site in the world, well worth the occasional abuse or sarcasm. But it does go easier if you do your homework first and try to frame your questions in as professional a way as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interstate /Hertel on Enco website.
    Page 124 of online catalog. There are 10 pc sets under $50.00
    Probably what your looking for except dovetail cutter.This will get you started,probably last you several years for sizes 1/4" and up.
    If your mill is a light machine I would be very careful using the larger sizes.
    You can order separate sizes of same brands instead of a set.1/8,3/16,1/4 etc up to 9/16".This might be better than a set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hkinkade View Post
    Frank Ford

Are the CDCO sets center cutting?
    I haven't ordered in a while but the ones I got were center cutting. We use them quite a bit for wood in the guitar shop, too.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for making this thread. I'm new to this as well. I just bought a Grizzly 6x21 mill and now have to get tooling for it. Not knowing what I'll need, this thread has really helped. The Harbor Freight set sort of makes sense to me knowing that I will probably burn and break the first few end mills learning how to use them. It comes with a case and replacements will be better quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You buy tooling according to the jobs that you have. No jobs lined up? No tooling needed.
    I am just posting before this thread gets locked.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Go to the Harvey Tool site and order one of each.

11. Likes rustytool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've bought a bunch of Chinese carbide endmills on aliexpress during one of their sales,and for the most part the quality was good to excellent.

None of the cutters looked
    obviously bad like what you might expect from HF.Almost all cutters are metric size.

I'm not going to expect that a 6mm 3-flute carbide endmill for $2.30(shipped) is going to be as long-lasting as a Destiny cutter for 8 times the cost,
    but the surface finish matched that of midrange quality cutters like Fullerton or Mari.

If you are running a very high quality operation,by all means buy premium made in USA brands for the better runout,consistent size,finish and productivity.

Small Chinese endmills(under 4mm) usually come with a 4mm(.157")shank and are 50mm long(vs .125" shank and 1.5 inch long for US cutters),so you have more shank length to work with
    for cutting deep pockets and cavity work.Again for around 2 Dollars each these were a bargain.

I also bought a few Chinese so called premium .005mm runout ER collets.Those were NOT of the quality i was hoping for.
    TIR Runout was .0005" and worse vs .0002" promised in the specs,
    and the collets have a mushy feeling while being tightened.Also the bores look rough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi
    I buy a lot of stuff from Aliexpress.
    I find that paying mid range price (and not the cheapest) is a good thing to do.
    The cheapest is generally crap that barely functions.
    The mid range priced stuff is usually very good value for the $$. It is usually a LOT cheaper than an equivalent item purchased locally.

I have seen an item on Aliexpress sold locally for 5x the Ali price. They even used the same photograph. Paying more locally does not equal more quality.

In saying that, I am confident that quite a lot of stuff sold on Aliexpress is there because it failed Quality Control. On the whole, the wins and money saved far out numbers the loses and poor products.

Dazz

Country
    INDIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi

There are different types of Hss end mills. I also studying on hss end mills. there are different shapes single-ended or double endmills.

DIC TOOLS INDIA

Manufacturers of HSS End Mills | Square End Mill | Ball End Mills

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just stopped by to see how long it took for someone to comment on the "mill bits" but now I'm here, Sniff Sniff Sniff catching a whiff of spam.

First sentence btw. Lol

Brent

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dictoolsindia View Post
    Hi

There are different types of Hss end mills. I also studying on hss end mills. there are different shapes single-ended or double endmills.

DIC TOOLS INDIA

Manufacturers of HSS End Mills | Square End Mill | Ball End Mills
    We buy a lot of hss endmills, I like your website. We would be a good fit as we are vag industries.

17. Likes neanderthal mach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The box set if on sale may be okay.

Look for machinery dealers.

We have one that sells used stuff cheap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk