What's new
What's new

Recommended suppler for VFD 3ph motor package.

howieranger

Aluminum
I am going to update my lathe with a VFD and a new 3ph motor and would like a suggestion of a reputable supplier for the package. I get confused with the technical jargon on the different websites so I would like to call and give what I want to accomplish and get the complete package. The lathe uses a 3hp single phase motor currently.

What is your supply voltage? Do you want as cheap as you can get Chinese roulette or a reputable Japanese, European, or Domestic designed, supported unit? New? Used? All programmed and ready to go? Do it yourself? Why isn’t this post in the VFD section? Etc.

I didn't list what I wanted in terms of specs thinking that is what I would give the seller. I have 220v single phase input and I am not looking for cheap Chinese or used. I want to be able the have programable soft start, variable speed and braking. The motor to be replaced is a 112M frame 3 HP In a SB1049F.

What Motion Guru said.

I think the OP is hoping a supplier will have a technical support department that he can call and that will advise him on VFD and motor selection and not try to answer those questions here. If that is the intent, I can say that AutomationDirect, a US-based distributor of off-shore-manufactured equipment, sells good quality VFDs and motors and, most importantly, provides excellent tech support. The techs are very accessible, very knowledgeable, speak English as their first language, and stand behind their products. Their stuff is not the cheapest and is far from the most expensive available. I’d give em a call. I have 3 of their VFD’s.

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...MIl4nK2aO76gIVXB6tBh14WgXUEAAYASAAEgKQNvD_BwE

Denis

Edit: typing while the OP was posting

What Motion Guru said.

I think the OP is hoping a supplier will have a technical support department that he can call and that will advise him on VFD and motor selection and not try to answer those questions here. If that is the intent, I can say that AutomationDirect, a US-based distributor of off-shore-manufactured equipment, sells good quality VFDs and motors and, most importantly, provides excellent tech support. The techs are very accessible, very knowledgeable, speak English as their first language, and stand behind their products. Their stuff is not the cheapest and is far from the most expensive available. I’d give em a call. I have 3 of their VFD’s.

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...MIl4nK2aO76gIVXB6tBh14WgXUEAAYASAAEgKQNvD_BwE

Denis

Edit: typing while the OP was posting
2nd vote for these guys.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Thanks Dgfoster that is exactly what I was looking for. I have a very good friend that until a year ago was an industrial electrician that will do the wiring and programing.

Problem will be if you want to use remote switches. I would use the existing switches on the machine to control the vfd which can be mounted out of the way. I do not want to hunt for a small off pushbutton on a control panel on the wall behind the spindle if I need to stop in a hurry before something crashes. Those little switches are designed for Chinese elf fingers which are much smaller then mine especially if I am wearing oily gloves.
Bill D

I would suggest buying the cable that allows the keypad to be mounted remotely from the VFD itself. I have placed my dry drives in a clean box with a filtered fan. But I mount the keypad right up at the front of the machine so that it’s very handy to use. That allows you to easily adjust the RPMs on the fly do forward and reverse and Quickstop if necessary

Denis

Problem will be if you want to use remote switches. I would use the existing switches on the machine to control the vfd which can be mounted out of the way. I do not want to hunt for a small off pushbutton on a control panel on the wall behind the spindle if I need to stop in a hurry before something crashes. Those little switches are designed for Chinese elf fingers which are much smaller then mine especially if I am wearing oily gloves.
Bill D
That is my intention Bill, to use the low voltage switches that are currently on the lathe and it will be mounted on top of the electric control box just behind the headstock in easy reach. (Oily gloves while running a lathe?)

What you're doing is what I did....the original lathe switches are used to power up the VFD 'remotely'. The original lathe Forward/Reverse lever is used for those same functions. You can see the VFD mounted on the wall behind the lathe. The only time I need to go near the VFD is if I want to change the programming.

HL460 finished.jpg

VFD

KB electronics - made in usa, they answer the phone and have great tech service, good manuals.

KBAC-29D

It has switches and a knob.

No pushing up arrow on a membrane keypad 60 times to turn the speed up.

Motor
any frame size type motor that fits the mounting of the lathe
3 phase
220 240 VAC
TEFC

lol. KB is part of NIDEC which is a big, non-US company known for low-end products. KB might be doing some assembly in the US but you can be sure their guts are all offshore and probably Chinese.

I mounted my VFD inside the pedestal under the headstock. It does make wiring it harder but it is protected from chips and splash.
Bill D.

Automation Direct's tec support was great! The tec was very knowledgeable and walked me through what I wanted to accomplish and sent me a list of the drives and motors that would fit my needs. I will have the drive mounted on top of the current electrical cabinet within easy reach and all of the current controls on the lathe will work normally. I will only have to bore the motor pulley to 1.125" from 1.102" and elongate the mounting holes by 1/8" for the new motor to mount. Thanks for the help.

I made a floor of plywood with lots of holes drilled in it. No heating problems in a home shop only running for 1-2 hour max. A goldenrod heater of about 60 watts only raise the pedestal and other parts about 3-5 degrees with continuous running in winter.
Bill D

Back