What's new
What's new

Red Adair and the Devils Cigarette Lighter

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, this fella had an oil well fire. After making a few calls, he found he couldn't afford Red Adair, or anybody else of similar quality, who all wanted over $100,000 to put out the fire. Finally, he found Ralph's Extinguishers, who quoted him $25,000. He jusmped on the price, and went to the well to wait for Ralph's crew.

Over the hill came a rusty old stake body, with about a dozen guys in the back. The truck came weaving and skidding right up to the flaming wellhead, and everybody jumped out and started beating at the fire with shovels, towels, blankets, and whatever else came to hand. After the fire was out, Ralph came to collect.

As the delighted owner wrote out the check, he asked, "So, what are you gonna do with all this money?"

Came the reply, "First, I'm gonna fix the brakes on that f*cking truck."

I tried to get a job there in the early 70s. Fortunately they said no.

The local discount clothing store had some real nice Dickeys Work shirts in my size, 2 breast pockets, button up etc.....the were BRIGHT red. (heck they were only $3.50)

I only wear them around the farm but, when people ask, I tell them I worked
for Red Adair....:D

I have the biography they wrote about him. Very interesting book.

A few incidents that stood out... one well blew out down in south America out in the jungle. Among other things, it was putting out poison gas... like hydrogen sulfide I think it said.

Another blowout... was putting out such a stream that he said the ground was shaking, the gas stream was so high pressure that it was creating a shrieking sound that nearly deafened them. He said there was no such thing as any type of safety gear... he said that to get close enough to it, they wadded up a ball of cotton, plunged it in a jar of vaseline and jammed it in their ear canals to make rudimentary ear plugs.

Once you start reading that book, you can't put it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back