What's new
What's new

Refurbishing a 1988 Lagun FTV-1

radarguy

Plastic
Hey guys,

I just brought home a Lagun mill. It really is not in bad shape. It has not been abused but it has been neglected. They guy I bought it from had never run it. So I am starting from scratch. I have a genuine manual on the the way but they don't always tell you what you need to know. I was hoping someone could give me some pointers and or techniques for disassembling the head and pulley housing. Its not really very clear how the motor comes out and what you have to disconnect to do that. Looking for a kind soul.

Thanks,
Russell

What's the difference between a FT-1 and a FTV-1? I too am the proud papa of a FT or FTV-1.
I notice no kind soles yet but maybe between the two of us we can get somewhere.
What about the manual. How much was it?
Did it answer any of your questions?
My understanding is they still have some new parts at Lagun.
Have you had any luck with stock on replacement parts?

Anybody know?

FT is belt speed change, FTV is variable speed head with the dial speed change. Once you know what you have you can find a manual, but the only difference will be a small portion of the head.

There's an FTV-2 manual here, it should be close enough:

http://www.bbssystem.com/manuals/Lagun_FTV-2_Manual.pdf

(Oddly, that's from a set of images I put up as a pdf some years ago, but OCR'd and cleaned up. I still have the original).

A lot of parts are still available. One that was not on my mill was the one-shot oil pump built into the table but I managed to snag a replacement that was similar on eBay.

I have an FT-1 also and would like to see pics if you do rebuild it.
Sorry I can't help on the rebuild, all I've done on mine is replace the quill spring and fool with the Z axis feed mechanism.
Good luck :)

Ok, so now I'm thinking if you took the head out of the equation, basically the hardware and mechanics are the same or similar between FV1 and FV2's?
I have what I've begun referring to as a Lagunport Variable speed turret vertical knee cnc mill......
It does have a Bridgeport J-head variable speed, and with all three axis stepper motor driven....
Actually kind of a pain because the feed wheel on the J head has been removed...
There are 3 little Vampire Gecko drives in a pretty little row in there, a very nice toroidal transformer and a nice cnc breakout board.....
But NO manual hand wheels or levers ANYWHERE.
It does have the hand crank on the knee though.....
It's got a funky looking one shot I think..... It's in the right spot but what is weird is it has a standard electric plug and cord running to it?
Did they make a POWER one shot?
Also the head still has the harbach (Sp?) Cnc attachment with a summit DANA power draw bar....
There's a really nice looking coolant pump in the base casting....
Lots of little scalloped scraping marks visible on the ways. And not just in the ends which is cool.
It's got a basic VFD so I can just unplug (break/disable) the wife's dryer until I feel like wiring things up right...
Got a set of 21 tool holders, that was a nice surprise.....
All for 1300.00 US.
It has what I believe is a 10x44 table?
That tells me it should be a FTV-1 I think....?

OH and it came with a nice genuine Intel board PC running Mach 3-4?
If I knew more about Mach I'm guessing anything I need to know about the configuration is probably in there.
It was all working supposedly when the previous owner got it, and then never used it.....
I did get to hear the J -head run, and it sounded fantastic.
It needs a new worm gear for the head tilt, anybody got one?

Ok, so now I'm thinking if you took the head out of the equation, basically the hardware and mechanics are the same or similar between FV1 and FV2's?

Yup, modulo table size changes and changes over time.

Actually kind of a pain because the feed wheel on the J head has been removed...

That's normal. They mostly get in the way.

There are 3 little Vampire Gecko drives in a pretty little row in there, a very nice toroidal transformer and a nice cnc breakout board.....
But NO manual hand wheels or levers ANYWHERE.
It does have the hand crank on the knee though.....

So it's been CNC'd with no manual option. If the job was done right you'll want to learn the right CAD/CAM incantations to use the CNC, or trade for a more manual mill.

It's got a funky looking one shot I think..... It's in the right spot but what is weird is it has a standard electric plug and cord running to it?
Did they make a POWER one shot?

Yup. Should have an adjustable timer or some sort of control.

All for 1300.00 US.
It has what I believe is a 10x44 table?
That tells me it should be a FTV-1 I think....?

Pretty good price, particularly if the condition of the ways is good. And yes, it sounds like an FTV-1.

Thank you, great reply, I feel like all life's mysteries have been solved....
How are you with marital advice?
I'm in over 20 years and still feel like a blind man wondering through a minefield with her saying don't worry it looks fine I don't see anything......

Thank you, great reply, I feel like all life's mysteries have been solved....

But we never covered "who killed JFK", the truth about UFOs or any of the really important stuff!

How are you with marital advice?

It depends - how much longer do you want to stay married?

I'm in over 20 years and still feel like a blind man wondering through a minefield with her saying don't worry it looks fine I don't see anything......

Pshaw - that's nothing, youngling. I've been married some number of year, at a party I'll say that I've been married for 25 happy years and 15 that were "meh", but never within earshot of the wifey. At other times I have been known to give the number of married years in "dog years".

The sum total of useful advise I can give is that when the wife is questioned as to what's wrong and you get "nothing" as an answer that's for damn sure "something" and you can be sure that she'll be tormenting you for a week before it comes out - usually as something so minor and inconsequential that you're working really hard to stifle the WTF? response. You really, really want to stifle that response.

The sum total of useful advise I can give is that when the wife is questioned as to what's wrong and you get "nothing" as an answer that's for damn sure "something" and you can be sure that she'll be tormenting you for a week before it comes out - usually as something so minor and inconsequential that you're working really hard to stifle the WTF? response. You really, really want to stifle that response.

There is your good advice!
:)

FT is belt speed change, FTV is variable speed head with the dial speed change. Once you know what you have you can find a manual, but the only difference will be a small portion of the head.

There's an FTV-2 manual here, it should be close enough:

Too busy mining

(Oddly, that's from a set of images I put up as a pdf some years ago, but OCR'd and cleaned up. I still have the original).

A lot of parts are still available. One that was not on my mill was the one-shot oil pump built into the table but I managed to snag a replacement that was similar on eBay.

hey man,if yo still have the manual with you can you send me a copy of pdf file to my gmail [email protected] . i have a lagun ftv-1 that need some electrical work done and im looking for the electric diagram.will resllyu appreciate your help. thank you

Back