What's new
What's new

With regrets a member has passed

Richard King

Diamond
I was told tonight that a forum friend and was my pleasure to have met him one time at an open house. Ken Umpierre know as Senna on the other forum and for the life of me can't recall his name here. He was from Hermantown MN up near Duluth. KENNETH "KENNY" WILLIAM UMPIERRE | Duluth News Tribune Our mutal friend Daryl (uglydog) told me his family needs some help and in the OBit is says they are accepting donation for his family.

Ken loved vintage machines and last fall he had some bad luck and his shop burnt down....Daryl says his wife wants his help in selling some of his machines....I will do my best to help Daryl make a list of his inventory. Its a real shame ..he was 49 :-( Rich

It is amazing how attached to people one can become through these forums. I have a person I really like on the Sheldon group that I have not heard from in a while. I just sent an inquiry to him this AM. Sorry you have lost a friend.

Yea it would seem they have a lot to deal with, he had a fire in his shop and burned up all his equipment. He just started working on a new shop and was acquiring equipment to recondition some of the damaged machines. He also just got a couple of new machines so I am sure his family would need some help getting rid of them. He was only 3 yrs older than me...must have been a terrible shock to everyone.

Charles

Have any thoughts been given, by the family, to set up a bank collection account where donations can be sent? If something like this were done and everyone on PM donated a small monetary amount it would add up quickly.

Ernie

I just made a few phone calls and here is how you can make a donation:
There has been an account set up through Wells Fargo Bank and if there is a WF bank near your location, no matter where in the USA, you can go in and make a donation.
The account is called the <> UmPierre Childrens Memorial Account <> and the bank branch has a special way to send it to the local bank branch up in Duluth MN.
If by chance you dont have a Wells Fargo bank near you, mail a check or money order to
the <> UmPierre Childrens Memorial Account <> -- Wells Fargo Bank -- 418 Haines Road -- Duluth, MN 55811 (This is the Hermantown branch)

Unfortunately, there is no way to use a credit card to donate, that the Bank Branch manager told me.

Here is the Obit again and at the bottom it shows the donation info too. Ditto to what r segars said in post 3. I have become to like many of you and feel as if we are a family and will probably never shake your hand. Crazy how the internet has changed how friendships are formed. Rich

God Bless for your help.

KENNETH "KENNY" WILLIAM UMPIERRE | Duluth News Tribune

Last edited:
Have any thoughts been given, by the family, to set up a bank collection account where donations can be sent? If something like this were done and everyone on PM donated a small monetary amount it would add up quickly.

Ernie

There is this: Donations for the Umpierre children may be sent on behalf of the family to any Wells Fargo location.

From this: KENNETH "KENNY" WILLIAM UMPIERRE | Duluth News Tribune

Maybe someone closer to Hermantown can get more specific information.

Paul

Oh no. I actually knew him pretty well from a gun/hunting forum prior to PM. He was a good guy, not afraid to say his piece on that other forum, which could get pretty vicious if you didn't toe the line. When I first got my Webb lathe we PM'd back and forth a bit about something I was confused about- a fixturing challenge if I recall.

Well, shit.

I am 500 miles south, but am willing to make a road trip if needed to help out his family.
Never meet in person, PM'd back and forth on a few things. Will miss his common sense approach to life.
Will put his family in my prayers.

Richard and/or Daryl If something comes up and I can help, let me know.

Marshall

Too young to pass away...
Though I've never met him I wish him to rest in peace and to his family all the strength they need now to go through this hard time!
Max

I feel bad that Ken passed away, however that explains something. I sent Ken over $400 for a lathe chuck that I then never recieved. Anyone able to help me out with this?

I feel bad that Ken passed away, however that explains something. I sent Ken over $400 for a lathe chuck that I then never recieved. Anyone able to help me out with this?
Yikes...that is a sticky wicket indeed...

In post 1 Richard King writes:

Ken loved vintage machines and last fall he had some bad luck and his shop burnt down....Daryl says his wife wants his help in selling some of his machines....I will do my best to help Daryl make a list of his inventory. Its a real shame ..he was 49 :-( Rich

This is, as Milacron writes, a sticky wicket.

If you have a cancelled check, a copy of that and a description of the chuck in question sent to Richard King may help. If you gave cash to Ken, you might consider the $400 as a donation to his widow for expenses.

If you have a cancelled check and the chuck can't be located, you may consider asking for the return of less than, or none of the $400.

Those near Ken's widow would know best about how fragile she is and the state of her finances 6 weeks after his passing.

Paul

I paid Ken via PayPal about 15 days prior to his passing. I have emailed Daryl who I think is helping with the disposition of Ken's shop, no doubt a very unpleasant task.

Back