What's new
What's new

Relation between cutting a container and its integrity

StevenRReilly

Plastic
So I've got a new job in couple of days back. They've asked me to cut a small portion from a lot of shipping containers to accommodate one of their goods. I ask this just because I am curious. This cutting could be an issue for the integrity of the container right? Or do they make strong ones so this is not a problem. I will add the link to the storage container company in Toronto from which they bought theirs. So comment your opinions. (Or real facts if you know.)

It could be, that said, most of a containers real strength lays in its end frames, you need to tread carefully here there a pretty std design and there approval - insurance for transit and such is very much based on there design. Also worth adding some are high strength steels and have there own welding requirements. Again fail to meet these standards and your into serious liability if anything happens - void a lot of the goods insurance on the contained products in transit.

Hi Steven:
Yes, of course it could; any openings cut into a box will impact its "integrity" in a bunch of ways.
So your conclusion as to whether it's tolerable or not will vary depending on whether you're concerned about structural integrity as opposed to environmental integrity or security integrity or whatever.

You can't really make assessments about structural integrity without knowing a lot of specifics about the design of the container, so you need the services of an engineer if that's what you're asking.

However, if you go to the link you posted, you will find the container manufacturer offers that engineering service and will also customize containers for you.
They are the proper people to ask.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

This will be GREATLY dependent on how big of a section you are removing, WHERE it's located, and whether/how you close and reinforce the hole.

You could also ask if this will ever be a proper (shipping) container again, or will just be a special purpose, land-based storage and for transit by truck or rail.

If you're adding protuberances, you'll have to ensure they won't conflict with any standard lift or clamping requirements.

Spam comes in containers. People make openings in them everyday to get the delicious spam out and into their lives. they do have a protuberance on top called a"key".
Bill D

Which brings us to the point...why should out of survey shipping containers cost so much? when the same containers end up in scrapyards,from these same suppliers......Especially now so many local authorities are dead set against containers ending up in their jurisdictions as sheds or building components.......Yes ,the local council have tried their darndest to make me remove a couple of containers from my land..Only to be confounded by a law from 1886 and one from 1975.........but they wont give up,its public money they waste.

Back