What's new
What's new

Reliable must be tired of loosing money

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
first auction I've ever noticed them having a reserve on something. And it's a late Hardinge HLV-H for gawds sake...something you would think they would have confidence in going pretty high anyway.

Oh well, guess the party is finally over for "anything goes" Reliable auctions...

Hardinge HLV-H on eBay

I thought about bidding on a few of their items until I checked the freight using their frt calculator. I don't know who they use but the shipping prices were insane.

I noticed a while back that most of reliable machines are now being cleaned and repainted. I can't remember this being the case in the past. They use to sell everything with the 20-years worth of dirt & grime on it. Those cleaned and painted machines scream "Buyer Beware" to me!!!

I have seen about 2 or 3 reserve auctions from reliable over a period of 1 year, so ya very rare.I remmeber that those auctions , Reliable was selling it for the owner.They mentioned the machines being in use.

The situation maybee the same with this HLV-H, they may be handling the sale for the owners.

They don't have reserves on the machines at Reliable's warehouse and the shop selling the woodworking stuff.Their auction add mentions that the machines are at Caltech and they (Caltech) needs to get rid of them to make room. Reliable probably was hired by Caltech to sell the stuff?
scratchchin.gif

I have seen about 2 or 3 reserve auctions from reliable over a period of 1 year, so ya very rare
To know how meaningful that statment is, one has to know just how closely you are watching what Reliable has for sale. Knowing you, it's pretty close, like everything they have ever had for sale since their eBay debute, but just curious ;)

Just out of intrest, what would a sort of '' ball park / average fair price'' be for that sort of year/ condition/ equipped HLV-H over there?

Take care. Sami

Limy, $14 to $22,000 but that one is a bit dirty (for an eBay ad anyway), so maybe a little less.

If they cleaned it up like new and put a NASA sticker on it, and with a good story about some ex employee getting it brand new from NASA and waxing it once a week while not actually using it any, $25,000 !!

Hmmm. 9660 s/n would make it about 82/83 vintage.Also, it has the dual dials everywhere, which they don't do anymore because of DROs. I don't see a taper attachment in the pics. It actually looks like orig paint to me. Oversprayers never bother to remove the metal label plates. I wonder what the reserve is? I don't think any e/m hlvh's have sold recently on E-Bay. Nobody is buying the permanent ads for a few that are in the 20's and have been on near forever.

jp

That is odd they have a reserve. Maybe listing it for a friend and he needed a reserve.

I saw another inch/metric HLV-H go for about six grand about a year to two abit back. No reserve on that one and it looked pretty nice.

They didn’t list it as inch/metric in the header, maybe not even in the body so the price may have been down because of that.

Stupid me expected it to rise to a standard ten to nineteen grand so I didn’t bother keeping up with the auction. My luck would have been to bid and it would have went from the six grand to the guys max of around ten-ish. JRouche

Well, if he is selling it for somebody, then they could have goten a lot more money, I think, by simply auctioning it through the standard auctioneers, not on eBay. Somebody got a real good deal on an I/M for $6000. That's almost a ridiculous price. Though, what flaws it may have had? Who knows? At that price it would have been good fodder for a genuine rebuild. They guys who do them right replace just about everything, lead screw,grind bed, bearings, rescrape total strip and pro paint. Probably runs $20k or so. But it still saves you $15k on a new lathe.

As far as the thread title, I doubt very much that Reliable is "losing money"

To know how meaningful that statment is, one has to know just how closely you are watching what Reliable has for sale. Knowing you, it's pretty close, like everything they have ever had for sale since their eBay debute, but just curious
Ya I should done better at clarifying. The 2 that I remmember, 1 was a Mori Seki (blue and white paint scheme, not something ancient looking )that looked in good shape, wasn't a big HMC and fairly certain it was a lathe. The other,I don't recall what type of machine or brand but I do recall it had conveyers with rollers, some sort of miniproduction setup.

I used to check both German Ebay and our own Ebay every day, then about 2ish months ago just flat stopped looking at much of anything related to machines.Around mid septemeber, started looking at machinery again, the usuall places: Ebay,Dovebid,Bidspotter,GOindustry & a few others.Only look at Gov liquidation once in a blue moon, they don't have anything intresting even rusty intresting :D

As far as the thread title, I doubt very much that Reliable is "losing money"
Probably not over all, but it's been proven here on PM many times that they loose money quite often on machine tools sales. Someone was at the same auction they bought machine X, so they know what they paid, and then we see machine X on eBay. They lost 2 or 3 thousand bucks on a CNC Deckel mill just a few months ago...and that's not including their shipping and wasted time dealing with it.

$10,950 reserve met today....I'd like to try one and compare it to a Monarch EE someday, but heck, I bought a Citizen Cincom F10 sliding head CNC swiss lathe on ebay (that ran when I got it home) for a lot less than the current bid.

Used CNC machines are often less expensive than top quality manual machines of similar ilk. For reasons of machine wear and electronic and software obsolecense issues. A good manual machine is essentially "forever", whereas most CNC have a definite lifespan after which they become worthless.

Ironic, since the CNC machine was much more expensive new, and has way more productivity potential.

An extreme example of this involves Deckel mills. A 1989 Deckel FP4MK (manual machine) is worth 3 times what a 1989 Deckel FP4NC with D4 control would sell for.

Basically the same machine, both FP4's...one manual, one CNC. But in the case of the Deckel it's also a rarity issue. The CNC versions are waaaay more common than the manual versions after about 1980.

That's odd that they're starting to use reserves, especially on a Hardinge -- they seem to be able squeeze more money out of an Ebay auction than anyone else.

They got over $26,000 for the HLV they sold last year (the one Don's alluding to).

I don't think any of us will ever be able to figure out what goes on at Reliable...

Back