Remember those little water/air pressure rockets? Steroid Time! - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is cool and I sure I will hold your beer while you rocket off into the sunset.

But lawn darts were and are the cock for dolly not to mention black powder and fire works.

Be safe dude.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Terry Keeley;3545575]Don't pour 5 gallons of gas on a bonfire!

nearly 40 years ago when a motocross bike had 2 shocks in the back and 5" of travel, I had used a healthy dose of premix to get a stubborn campfire burning better. it also yielded me a very red face, cost me my bangs, eyebrows and eyelashes. hold my beer. watch this...!

3. Likes Terry Keeley liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We used to burn windrows of green timber using waste paint thinner in 44 gal drums .....200-300 gallons along a windrow .....if you burn the pushed trees same day,they burn extra hot down to ash ....It sure lit up with a boomp on a hot day with the air full of fumes......And I used to get $1500 a 10 ton truckload for disposing of the thinners ,as it had too much paint residue to recycle economically.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Turbonique(the company that supplied Cpt.Jack's cart engines)had a picture of a small hydro with two rockets on it.It was a still shot in the water,doubt if they ever ran it.
    When a conventional boat comes out of the water and back flips it looses all its thrust once the prop clears,obviously not true with a rocket and unless you have extraordinary reflexes and can shut off the air on this thing you will gain altitude PDQ.
    How do you expect to start it in the first place?The back will be down at start you will have to aim the tail up,when the boat picks up speed the angle will change being excessive down but with all that thrust I believe it will displace enough water to rotate nose up anyway or else nose over.Rapidly oscillating a rocket nozzle on your ass ain't cool yer going in orbit! That's just my uneducated opinion.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Start at 6:20 for the boat:

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    And, yes, welding on a pressure vessel is a no-no.
    I spent the better part of my career welding on 4,000-10,000 psi pressure vessels. ASME has an entire section dedicated to it called section IX. Just cause some people can't make the cut doesn't mean it can't be done. I've also made a lot of money welding fuel aluminum tanks. It's not luck, its being 2% smarter than what you are working on

Believe it or not the welding in a black liquor recovery boiler is more regulated and difficult than a nuclear reactor

8. Likes triumph406 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    I spent the better part of my career welding on 4,000-10,000 psi pressure vessels. ASME has an entire section dedicated to it called section IX. Just cause some people can't make the cut doesn't mean it can't be done. I've also made a lot of money welding fuel aluminum tanks. It's not luck, its being 2% smarter than what you are working on

Believe it or not the welding in a black liquor recovery boiler is more regulated and difficult than a nuclear reactor
    I didn't say that it can't be done.Sure, pressure vessels can be welded on. It's only good if they never blow up, however. If one that you worked on does happen to blow, you would be named in the ensuing lawsuit along with anyone else in the chain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That Turbonique boat in the video has a lot slower response than I think the air rocket will have based on the numbers bandied about.Maybe a staged release would be safer.
    Much above 60-70 mph is where those small boats start to want blow over.
    My son and his buddys got the older short Sea Doos to over 70.They don't blow over but if they start to bounce if they reenter the water a little crooked they will high side the rider just like a bike.His one friend with the quickest one broke his arm when his his high sided him.
    Son now has one of the supercharged 300hp skis.It is a lot longer and heavier and more stable.I think it will run over 70 and there are kits to bypass the speed limiter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=metlcutr55;3546047]
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Keeley View Post
    nearly 40 years ago when a motocross bike had 2 shocks in the back and 5" of travel, I had used a healthy dose of premix to get a stubborn campfire burning better. it also yielded me a very red face, cost me my bangs, eyebrows and eyelashes. hold my beer. watch this...!
    Also don't pour on a couple gallons, realize you have no matches, send someone to get them and toss the match in 5-10 minutes or so later.
    Seems the fumes spread out quite a ways and the same results as above.
    Some things you just have to learn the hard way when young. This while in grade school.
    At family get get-togethers mom would tell the story of much younger me found out back of the garage trying to light a gas can.
    I have no memory of it but evidently I could not figure out how to get the matches to work.
    I do remember learning about electricity by unbending a paper clip and sticking it in an outlet at Grandma's house.
    Bob

12. Likes motion guru liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Haha . . . I remember using a lighter and a can of WD40 to burn bugs that were flying around in the garage. One bug escaped death on the first blast and was spinning in circles on the concrete floor. So I got up close to it and lit the lighter at the front of the can of WD40 and then let it have it straight down from the top.

I didn’t think about the fact that the flames would hit the concrete and then swirl back up and envelope my hand, arm and head!

After the shock of having flames all around my head wore off, I smelled like burnt hair so decide to go wash my face. A while later when sitting at the table for lunch, my mum asked me “what in the hell happened to your eyebrows?!?!”

She was always gentle and kind like that. I didn’t have a good explanation, and after a few attempts at making up something that sounded plausible to me, I got a good whipping and a stern lecture about having shit for brains.

The life of a 7 year old was tough back in the 70’s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=CarbideBob;3546387]
    Quote Originally Posted by metlcutr55 View Post

Also don't pour on a couple gallons, realize you have no matches, send someone to get them and toss the match in 5-10 minutes or so later.
    Seems the fumes spread out quite a ways and the same results as above.
    Some things you just have to learn the hard way when young. This while in grade school.
    At family get get-togethers mom would tell the story of much younger me found out back of the garage trying to light a gas can.
    I have no memory of it but evidently I could not figure out how to get the matches to work.
    I do remember learning about electricity by unbending a paper clip and sticking it in an outlet at Grandma's house.
    Bob
    That explains a lot, Bob.

15. Likes CarbideBob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Ron Hofer;3546506]
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post

That explains a lot, Bob.
    Yes maybe brain damaged when young.
    Still if this toy had some sort of driver control I'd be with teachme and jump inside. The yee-haw worth it. The launch must be so wild.
    That dive hard to explain.

Guess what, I can not do roller coasters at all. Wife loves them. (not helpful in a marriage) Part of the ride is the same as crashing to me.
    I envy those who can ride with ease.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    I didn't say that it can't be done.Sure, pressure vessels can be welded on. It's only good if they never blow up, however. If one that you worked on does happen to blow, you would be named in the ensuing lawsuit along with anyone else in the chain.
    Not true, from a management position I've been around situations where people have been injured and even 3 killed. I've seen the lawsuits, they rarely gain any traction unless there is gross negligence and that never falls back on the craft unless there was blatant sabotage. The situation where 3 were killed was traced back to the AI not performing the annual inspection in that area for over 7 years. Never once was the welder even remotely in the crosshairs for his 50 plus year old weld. Even if it was the welders fault he is not liable. The CWI maybe but not the welder.

It's no more dangerous than running a lathe. Should people who don't know what they are doing be doing it? NO! but the same goes for a lathe or even driving a car. This is a site for professionals that are supposed to know what they are doing.

BTW Every air compressor tank is a pressure vessel, is welded and has a Nation Board tag with a U stamp, and maybe even an R stamp if it was repaired.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

50 years ago when I worked at a Boy Scout camp I saw the same thing happen, 2 cement walls 6 ft across, 4 feet high, 25 ft long filled with trash,steel plate spanning the walls to form a chimney,+ 10 gal of gas on a real hot day and one match= 1 badly burnt Boy Scout,2000 lbs of steel plate in orbit and flaming trash every where...Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by motion guru View Post

The life of a 7 year old was tough back in the 70’s.
    Not the 70's only.
    Let let young ones loose in the shop and they very quickly learn that that the green buttons do all sort of things.
    No. no, no... Bad. DO NOT DO THAT. Only push the buttons Uncle Bob says to.
    Bob

20. Likes motion guru, Ron Hofer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ratbldr427 View Post
    Turbonique(the company that supplied Cpt.Jack's cart engines)had a picture of a small hydro with two rockets on it.It was a still shot in the water,doubt if they ever ran it.
    When a conventional boat comes out of the water and back flips it looses all its thrust once the prop clears,obviously not true with a rocket and unless you have extraordinary reflexes and can shut off the air on this thing you will gain altitude PDQ.
    How do you expect to start it in the first place?The back will be down at start you will have to aim the tail up,when the boat picks up speed the angle will change being excessive down but with all that thrust I believe it will displace enough water to rotate nose up anyway or else nose over.Rapidly oscillating a rocket nozzle on your ass ain't cool yer going in orbit! That's just my uneducated opinion.
    All very good questions Ratbldr. Normally a boat sits very low in the back, bad for take off with the rocket, there is no weight overhanging the transom on the hydro everything is basically in the center of it's length. I plan on backing the hydro up near shore in a foot or so of water, place it on either carpeted adjustable jacks or possibly rollers in the same angle it will be at when going at speed. The rocket tank will be mounted with adjustable right/left rod ends for tuning. Asphalt rocket cars tip the rocket up a couple of degrees in the back to hold the car to the road, sounds good but I'm not sure of what will happen at top end on the hydro when you no longer have downforce. I plan on starting at very slow pressure settings and gradually working up with a 'simulated' driver (bag of sand). If things go smooth to say, 1,500 psi for several runs, I might consider backing the psi down 25% and jumping in. (maybe)

22. Likes ratbldr427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This an almost perfect example of what I am going for;

YouTube

This won't help my case against the nay-sayers here on my project but the guy was killed in a high speed test of the trike. We all know that accidents only happen to 'the other guy' though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ratbldr427 View Post
    when a conventional boat comes out of the water and back flips it looses all its thrust once the prop clears,obviously not true with a rocket and unless you have extraordinary reflexes and can shut off the air on this thing you will gain altitude pdq..

I get to fly, too?

WHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

25. Likes Mud, mountie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All organ donors please click here.

www.mercyhospital.com

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Did it pass for repeated reversal loading ?
    Where's the load reversal?