What's new
What's new

Removing Factory Printed Ink from Aluminum Stock

DoctorBill

Plastic
This works instantly -

Klean-Strip Premium Stripper 18 oz spray can.

Comes out as a foam. Used for stripping paint.......

Nasty stuff - use Neoprene Gloves OUTSIDE - fumes bad.
Zaps the skin badly. Has aggressive solvents in it !

But - Boy does it work well !

DoctorBill

That's all we've ever used....don't need anything more...

For what it is worth - One of the first things I tried was Acetone and it did not work at all.

Perhaps the "ink" used at various manufacturing sites is not always the same.

The Aluminum Hex Rod I bought here in Spokane, WA said Kaiser Aluminum in
that Black "Ink" and would not respond to Mineral Spirits, Acetone, MEK, Methylene Chloride, Xylol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Terpentine, WD-40, Hoppe's #9, Wipe-Out Patch-Out, Sweets 7.62 Solvent, 409 Cleaner, Rust Out Cleaner, Tap Free Cutting Fluid, ATF, Kroil, Gummout Carb Cleaner, and "spit".

All I can say is - if you can't dissolve the ink you have in front of you, try the Klean-Strip Premium Cleaner. It worked instantly. Just nasty stuff to use inside and you'll need gloves to keep it off your skin.

I know others claim various things work, but I tried them and nothing worked but
the stripper I mentioned. That is what makes me think the ink varies from place to
place and maybe time to time.

I thought that maybe the ink contained Selenous Acid which is in Birchwood
Casey's "Aluminum Black" Metal Finish for Firearms.....but - looks like not.

Have a nice day.

DoctorBill

From Post #24 (From the future !):
"Maybe after that aluminum was extruded, it was still too hot when they coded it. If that was the case it would be very difficult to remove." Michael Edwards

I posted this forward explanation to forestall some of the Bizzarre replies you will see.
I am sure I WILL offend someone !

Last edited:

The Aluminum Hex Rod I bought here in Spokane, WA said Kaiser Aluminum in
that Black "Ink" and would not respond to Mineral Spirits, Acetone, MEK, Methylene Chloride, Xylol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Terpentine, WD-40, Hoppe's #9, Wipe-Out Patch-Out, Sweets 7.62 Solvent, 409 Cleaner, Rust Out Cleaner, Tap Free Cutting Fluid, ATF, Kroil, Gummout Carb Cleaner, and "spit".

DoctorBill

Lacquer Thinner is not in your list.

The jitter bug sander leaves a nicer finish! ;-)

But I've never had a problem with a wipe down of LT. Available at the hardware store, it's in the paint dept. and not too costly by the gal.

And I just love what it does for my nails ;-)

For round bars, centerless grinding is very cheap. Thats what we do in screw machine land. I'd rather fork over a $60 lot charge to a grinding place than scrub down all my bars by hand. On the paperwork, just write "grind to clean" and they will take off as little material as possible to remove lettering and mill scale.

Hex or rectangle bar.. I guess you're SOL.

just a snippet of this msds of klean Strip paint remover...

Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents; bases; strong caustics; strong acids; oxygen;
nitrogen peroxide; reactive metals such as aluminum and magnesium; sodium;
potassium; and nitric acid.
Incompatibility - Materials To
Avoid:
Decomposition may produce carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide, hydrogen chloride,
chlorine gas, and small quantities of phosgene.

probably a bad idea in general to use on aluminum ...also, better tell your client you washed their parts in this stuff in case they heat/weld it . hydrogen chloride and phosgene gas will kill your ass .

not cool.

Metal printing inks are hard to remove because they are adhered with a plastic base which is either vinyl, acrylic or lacquer (wax).

The active ingredient in Klean-Strip is methylene chloride, a powerful organic solvent that can dissolve wax and plastic.

Methylene chloride can be found in any hardware store. It is very dangerous stuff. It is in all probability carcinogenic. In the United States, over 50 people have been killed by accidental methylene chloride inhalation.

^ yeah and thousands have died through inhaling water too!

Most liquids will drown you! Just a question of how toxic the resulting puddle is!

"Metal printing inks are hard to remove..."

OK guys - I was just trying to help.

Use whatever works for you.

DoctorBill

PS - Some guys were going to try asking Kaiser about what
works best. Never saw them come back with what Kaiser
recommended. Wonder why.....?

I bought a 72 inch Kaiser Aluminum 5/8" Hex Rod with printing along
the entire length of rod. Cut it into pieces.

Cut_Hex_Rods_Printing.jpg

Seems to me that wiping it off with a cloth and some Stripper is a
whole lot easier than milling it off and changing the rod's dimensions...

How do you do that milling thing on large plate Aluminum ?

The active ingredient in Klean-Strip is methylene chloride,

Methylene chloride can be found in any hardware store.

I used MEK to clean some aluminum before welding with poor results. It left a residue on the aluminum that I was unable to see, yet contaminated the weld.

I switched back to acetone and the problem disappeared.

ME

Back