Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If your chuck has a removable back plate take the chuck off the plate turn the plate off the spindle, then make a new plate.
    Marginally better than locking the back gear and shot pin and breaking back gear teeth, as to which is more work, dovetailing and cutting a new tooth vs making a new back plate with precision threading and light press of the register fit into the chuck back.

Before I'd do that I'd soak it with mild heat and Kroil several days in a row, then use mild force. If that didn't work I'd make an aluminum or phenolic sector gear with internal teeth that fit the back gear and wedge it's bottom edge on the bed. I did that for a very rare lathe that likely had it's chuck screwed on for over 50 years.

After tracing it against the back gear itself and scribing the teeth it took all of 15 minutes to cut it out with the vertical bandsaw. Besides saving the backgear teeth by spreading the force over ten or fifteen teeth instead if two or three against the opposing gear, this brake block can be used over and over again. The fit of the teeth cut with the bandsaw is far from critical, the important part is that teeth that contact first will bend until many teeth make contact, and you will not break off ten teeth at once.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In my rapidly diminishing memory banks I think I can remember John Noder posting a thread on how to remove a lathe chuck a few years ago. I can't recall the exact details now but I remember thinking- " That's The Way To Do It".

It called for a bit of time and effort but like everything John does it was a really smart, safe and secure method.

Regards Tyrone.

3. Likes Sachmanram liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Or make sure the cam locks are fully disengaged. the arrows may not be correct. They should turn freely when unlocked.
    BILL D.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...removal-95784/

5. Likes partsproduction liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill D's got it, anyone who is serious about turning metal will eventually dispense with threaded spindle noses entirely with the exception of collecting.

So cut to the 20th century and be done with a stupid anti logic spindles.

Threaded spindles are at best an entry level option.

7. Likes JohnEvans liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has anyone noticed that the OP only posted once. Was never courteous enough to answer any questions or provide additional info. Sorta rude, if you ask me. No thanks or kiss my a&&.

JH

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it is a threaded spindle and plain bearing remove a bearing cap, lay a layer or two of cloth on the journal and reinstall cap carefully to lock it up.

Ed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Stuck Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by johansen View Post
    if the chuck is threaded on, evenly heat up the chuck until the spindle is warm.

put ice cube in the spindle, apply torque immediately.
    I recently had this problem with an old 16" south bend. What the final solution was (purchased a ridged strap wrench for the belt drive end - one inch hex bar in the chuck - one inch drive impact wrench ans some justice bros solvent. It took about 2 weeks to work but it all of a sudden came off really easy. Try loosen it, spray around the end of the chuck, wait a couple of days repeat and it will eventually work. This way you don't break or harm anything just be patient.