What's new
What's new

Removing surface rust

NewGunPlumber

Aluminum
Recently purchased a mill that has had very little use but has been storage for approximately 15yrs. It has obviously had some form of preservative but there is some light rust on the table and other surfaces that I'd like to remove.

What is the best method to remove light rust like this without damaging the surfaces? I have seen some used machines for sale that have been wire buffed but am unsure if this would cause any damage

Recently purchased a mill that has had very little use but has been storage for approximately 15yrs. It has obviously had some form of preservative but there is some light rust on the table and other surfaces that I'd like to remove.

What is the best method to remove light rust like this without damaging the surfaces? I have seen some used machines for sale that have been wire buffed but am unsure if this would cause any damage

Steel wool is non abrasive is generally accepted for this and will need some elbow grease to work but won't cause damage to the iron itself.

Scotch brite with phosphor acid
Over her we have toilet cleaners which work for rustremover it says on the label
They contain pfosphor acid with some inhibitors that make it work better it says
Neutalize with some detergent Dry and then inmediatly apply some oil

Peter

Evaporust for anything that fits in the bucket, razor blade for anything flat, wire wheel for everything else.

Evaporust for anything that fits in the bucket, razor blade for anything flat, wire wheel for everything else.
I second using EvapoRust. That stuff is like magic. I think there's a gel version you can brush on like paint stripper. I haven't used it, but I imagine it's worth a shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Here's a link to that EvapoRust Gel.
Amazon.com: Evapo-Rust GEL Rust Remover Removes Rust and Rust Stains from Most Surfaces, 8oz: Automotive

I think Home Depot and Lowes sell it, too.

Evaporust works well on larger surfaces too. Soak a paper shop towel in it, lay it on the surface then cover it with a trash bag. Make sure the paper towel makes good contact with the surface. You can lay or lightly clamp something on to hold it against the surface.

Yeah no joy with evaporust over here. Its very minimal so might just try some steel wool / scotch bright and use a bit of penetrene to help break it down and see how it goes.

Any light oil and a brass brush. Soft steel wire wheels are often okay as long as you keep them away from non-hardened precision surfaces. Handwheels, ball cranks, hardened gear teeth, etc.

Consider a penetrating oil like Kroil for dissolving preservatives and waxy residue in conjunction with the action of the brush.

Phosphoric acid is cheap and widely available. Usually, they sell it in hardware stores as a concrete cleaner (or etcher) or "phosphoric prep" for metals and concrete, and it can be used "as is" or diluted 2:1 or 1:1 with water (I usually use 2 parts of acid to 1 part of water).

I like Evaporust and used it very often, but nowadays I almost completely replaced it with phosphoric acid. The results are virtually identical, and the acid works quicker.

hm, in my experience phosphoric undiluted will not do much. it needs water. i use a solution of around 15-20%.

hm, in my experience phosphoric undiluted will not do much. it needs water. i use a solution of around 15-20%.
I'm sure what they sell in OUR hardware stores is already diluted acid. :) In any case, it works "as is" very well. But further dilution makes it more economical without any noticeable drop in efficacy.

I really like Evaporust, especially that it doesn't eat any steel even if the part is left in for days. Can't remember, does plain phosphoric go after the steel if left in too long. Definitely happens with citric acid.

Glad to learn about the gel, just ordered some, seems like it will be very useful.

All very interesting, can anyone tell me how remove *subsurface* rust?

=)
I've have pretty good luck finding all the hidden rust in cast iron when I weld it. [emoji2959]

Back