What's new
What's new

Repacking Bridgeport X & Y Axis bearings

mvernon

Plastic
Hey Guys,
What grease do you all use when you are repacking the bearings on your Bridgeport? I have been trying Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease used for wheel bearings. However there seems to be a lot of drag compared to the original grease. And yes I made sure not to cram them full of grease. Is there something else you would recommend? I may end up cleaning the grease out and using something different.

Mobil synthetic - red grease if that's what you are using is soluble in oil. Just add a few drops of oil to change the viscosity.
John

You DON’T use grease in your Bridgeport X-Y ways. You use way oil. It will not be fun cleaning out the grease. But you will learn how the ways and screw drives are assembled and adjusted because removing the grease will require disassembly.

Denis

You DON’T use grease in your Bridgeport X-Y ways. You use way oil. It will not be fun cleaning out the grease. But you will learn how the ways and screw drives are assembled and adjusted because removing the grease will require disassembly.

Denis

He said he's packing the bearings, not the screws/ways

Denis

I don't know for sure what he's describing, but I've never repacked a lead screw brg.

Hey Guys,
What grease do you all use when you are repacking the bearings on your Bridgeport? I have been trying Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease used for wheel bearings. However there seems to be a lot of drag compared to the original grease. And yes I made sure not to cram them full of grease. Is there something else you would recommend? I may end up cleaning the grease out and using something different.

I may be mistaken, but I believe I replaced mine with new from H&W and they were sealed bearings. Can someone confirm?

Otherwise, I get where you are going here. I wonder if you would be better off with vactra. These aren't wheel bearings. The load on them is not high. My handles don't free spin, but they are pretty easy to turn. And obviously you can mess with your gibs to get them the way you like them.

I think you are right that a heavy sticky grease, designed to provide lubricity at high speeds and temps probably isn't what you want.

It's the three bearings for the end housings. One at each end of the table and one for the saddle. The stub end of the screw shafts are supported by the bearings and the shaft terminates with a ball crank handle. Some bearings as shipped from Bridgeport were open and later there was a switch to sealed/shielded bearings.
John

H&W shows 4 sealed bearings on the lead screws. 2 on the x axis and 2 on the Y axis. They cost all of $13.18 each. Depending on what type of synthetic grease you use it could cost more than all new bearings.

I have never replaced any lead screw bearings in my life. They just don't go bad. Why are you even messing with them?

You can increase the strength in your weak arm if you leave things as is.

I just used some general purpose grease from a green camo army surplus can that I bought for $1.

As a few have mentioned, the bearings we send are sealed. Aside from thrust bearings in CNC retrofit kits, I havent seen an open bearing in the XY before.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

They were not open but very easy to pull the shields and clean. The bearings seemed to be in good shape. Wanted to keep them that way.

You can keep the bearings in good shape if you leave them alone and not mess with them. Pop the shields or seals, toss them! They will start to fail. Simple as that. Listen to all, they know what they are talking about.

I repacked them and placed the shields back. It is really easy to do. It is almost like a snap ring. Comes right out. Why would you ever leave them exposed. That would not work well with grease. If you wanted that you would need to have an oiler system.

Back