What's new
What's new

Replacement ball screw

A friend of mine asked if I wanted to investigate where to buy a new ball screw for his 15 year old Z&B surface grinder
Diam is 40 mm Pitch also 40 mm Lenght about 2.5 mtr It needs to have a low soundlevel
RPM is 700 rpm max
What is a good compagny to get one of these
They need to sell to or beter haandve a representetive in the Netherlands or nearby
Important is that they give good advice
Also is there anybody experienced in ball screws who can give me some advice in what to pay attention to
For example what are the differences in how the balls are deflected
What preload and how to perform preload With 2 nuts working again eachother or with the ball size giving preload ?
Which design gives the lowest soundlevel

Peter

Well
We got it out to measure up
It turns out it isn`t a ball screw
Its a design I never have seen before and cannot find on the internet eighter
The screw has a profile like a acme thread with about a 35° angle

attachment.php

In that groove ride 4 bearings in a housing with a 47mm bore (diam of the spindle is 40mm)

attachment.php

The innerrace has a ridge on the inside that rides in the groove of the spindle Simple drawing
attachment.php

Those bearings are specials from Ina

The bearings are excentric situated in the housing at the pitchangle
They are held in place with a small bracket that adjusts play

We asked Ina
The can provide the bearings as a special but not spindle nor housing
They pointed us to Rexroth
We did send them a e-mail No response so far

Anybody knows more about these spindles
We think the designadvantige is its low noise level

Peter

Principale is about the same but with my application the bearing has a ridge on the inside that rides in the groove of the spindle
So it cannot change ratio nor direction

Peter

You might want to talk to Eichenberger Gewinde in Switzerland. They are good people to work with in my experience and the quality for the price is excellent. They have 40x40 ball screws and some similar lead screw options. I know they have a distributor in the UK but I expect there are some in Europe as well so you don't need to import from outside the EU.

Luke

Back