What's new
What's new

Replacement cross slide for Enco 110-1351

JET8485

Plastic
Hello all,
First post after being a longtime lurker, so please be gentle...I'm in need of some of the wisdom I've found here.

Background:
I design, build, and operate autonomous agricultural robots. After fighting long lead times and the high cost of one-off prototype parts while under tight deadlines, we've decided to invest in a small manual machine shop setup for prototyping. Mind you, we aren't a production job shop, so apologies if this isn't the right forum, but this is how we make our living.

After doing a lot of searching around, I found someone who was selling a Gorton 1-22 Mastermil, Enco 110-1351 13x40, large Central Machinery bandsaw, and their entire set of tooling, which included 2 packed toolchests worth of collets, end mills, drills, HSS and carbide, facing tools, half a dozen lathe chucks, multiple quick change tool posts, boring bars, half a dozen tailstock chucks and live centers, etc. Basically everything we would need to get started except for indicators and measuring tools.

The one main issue is that the cross slide on the lathe was snapped off during a move:
received_538002737119492.jpg
received_643760112840090.jpg

Although I realize this isn't a production level lathe, it has enough precision and robustness for our purposes--plus my guys aren't full-time machinists, and I don't want to blow a head gasket when someone accidentally damages it the first time:angry:.

My question is this: Does anyone know how I could obtain a replacement cross slide for this lathe, and any ballpark estimates of how much it would cost?

I know Enco is long gone, and I've searched ebay to no avail. I know many of the parts on these import lathes are interchangeable, but I have no idea which ones might be a match here. Is there anyone who might be able to offer some help?

Thank you all in advance.

I can't see much with those images being so tiny, but it looks like it's "just" the mount for the compound that's broken? If so you might have more luck finding someone who can braze it back in place and clean things up. At the minimum you'll likely need to look at the fit of the cross slide to the saddle and rescrape it, then make sure the top of the compound mount is parallel to the ways and flat. You'd probably have to do much of that that with a replacement, anyway.

Thanks so much for the response rke[pler! I'll have to look into who might be able to do scraping around here( or take a class myself).

Also, I have good news. As seems to be the case for most things in my life, as soon as I bite the bullet and ask for help, I immediately stumble upon the answer... thereby making me look silly. It turns out that MSC purchased what was left of ENCO several years ago. Even though this particular model was long ago phased out, they still provide part replacements and support.

For anyone else who might be struggling to find replacement parts for their Enco (or Enco clone) machines, give MSC a call. I worked with a wonderful lady named Nancy, and she was extremely friendly and helpful. Not only do I have a replacement part arriving in the next two to three days, but she also emailed me a complete PDF of the manual, which will hold up much better than my paper copy.

Hopefully this helps somebody else out in the future!

Any go buy a lottery ticket while your luck holds !! I am beyond amazed that MSC had any parts for that lathe ! My experience with any old ENCO machines I usually ended up adapting/fitting a similar part sourced from Grizzly. And second rule is if the part IS available don't question the cost ,just be happy that it was.

Thanks so much for the response rke[pler! I'll have to look into who might be able to do scraping around here( or take a class myself).

Also, I have good news. As seems to be the case for most things in my life, as soon as I bite the bullet and ask for help, I immediately stumble upon the answer... thereby making me look silly. It turns out that MSC purchased what was left of ENCO several years ago. Even though this particular model was long ago phased out, they still provide part replacements and support.

For anyone else who might be struggling to find replacement parts for their Enco (or Enco clone) machines, give MSC a call. I worked with a wonderful lady named Nancy, and she was extremely friendly and helpful. Not only do I have a replacement part arriving in the next two to three days, but she also emailed me a complete PDF of the manual, which will hold up much better than my paper copy.

Hopefully this helps somebody else out in the future!

So tell us, did MSC charge more than the whole lot cost you?

Back