What's new
What's new

Replacement for waxy stuff coating reground cutters?

Cannonmn

Stainless
See what I mean in pic, the dark stuff that “maybe was” on tons of regrinds we have to store isn’t there, maybe last regrinding contract didn’t specify, dunno. But the nice shiny razor-sharp cutting edges are hanging out waiting for moisture to attack or handling to chip and I’d like to find a transparent, cold dip liquid to apply. The “Dipseal” product is affordable, 10 lbs/$34., any color, but must be heated to zakly 350 deg to use. That poses a time and safety factor we’d like to avoid if possible.

Flickr: Page Not Found

There is nothing comparable to the hot dip wax that you can apply cold. You might try some of the nylon (or whatever they are) mesh tubing. And then stick the tools in a drawer lined with VCI paper or the fancy rubber VCI toolbox drawer liner.

There is a product called Denso Tape that might work for your purposes.

It's a cheesecloth like fabric that reinforces a layer of petrolatum, which sounds like it should be Vaseline, but is more like a stickier version of beeswax or the like.

It's not terrible to handle, you will have to cut strips and wrap them around your parts, but it would likely serve pretty well for what you want.

My experience with the stuff is as a wrap around long term stored military aircraft parts.

I took a job sharpening a big load of tapps..they were coated with a dip that had gone hard as nails.
Lost on that job with all the time it took to get the junk off.

Been there. Years ago I think I used a small propane torch to heat it up so it was malleable enough to remove quickly.

I took a job sharpening a big load of tapps..they were coated with a dip that had gone hard as nails.
Lost on that job with all the time it took to get the junk off.

Pump gas as a thinner is cheap.
You could not toss them in a 1/2 full bucket of gas, and let them soak over night ?
rinse clean with diesel.

I've never tried an alternative to the real thing. Finding the right pot for my purposes at a reasonable price was the biggest obstacle to getting set up. I ended up with a shallow pot with a somewhat narrow rectangular opening so I could dip horizontal milling cutters. Also does shank tools of reasonable diameter without trouble.

I am pretty sure you can repurpose a kitchen appliance to this task.

We just use a crock pot. Dont know why, but whenever it gets hot, it smells exactly like puke. Stinks the whole shop up.

They make mini crock pots and potpourri pots that hold one or two cups. A coffee cup warming hot plate might keep it melted if you melt it on a stove first.
Bil lD.

I use a $20 crock pot from Big Lots, and the
McMaster-Carr
from Mcmaster.

Cheap and easy, most other home brew methods are imho inferior.

Does stink up the shop somewhat though

I use a $20 crock pot from Big Lots, and the
McMaster-Carr
from Mcmaster.

Cheap and easy, most other home brew methods are imho inferior.

Does stink up the shop somewhat though

Thanks all for the suggestions. I just ordered this gallon of stuff fm McCarr-I liked that it goes on cold and you remove it by peeling off, and McCarr doesn’t rip you off for shipping, only $9. For next-day dlv.

McMaster-Carr

Quick set is one advantage of such stuff. I just used a crockpot.. A water dip makes it set faster and a little washing soda..or Calgon pink soap mix keeps the water dip from causing rust.

Take care not to dip your fingers.

Take care not to dip your fingers.

What??
I think every employee using seal peel or the ilk has tried it. :) Oh my that is hot. BTDT.
LPS3 is so much nicer but not the same. 5 year, 10 year, 30+ year.
LPS3 or this type do not prevent damage in handling or contact with other parts as seal peel does so well.
Maybe this oil and the nylon net of the chinese finger trap stuff? no need for any lube on carbide.
Bob

The “paint or spray on cold” peel-off stuff I bought comes with only brief instructions, so I called maker, Sanchem Inc, in Chicago. Told me they recommend letting coated pieces set overnight to dry. Also mentioned to avoid applying in direct sunlight since if u do it wiil not be peel-able. There are only two sources, them or McMaster, and McMaster will be a little less $ as their shipping is less.

Back