What's new
What's new

Replica Aircraft for Museum Inquiry

marianmadalin91

Plastic
Can anyone from here build/make for me as a sponsorship/donation a 1:1 aircraft replica for static display into a 100% nonprofit aviation museum ? Thank you.

Can anyone from here build/make for me as a sponsorship/donation a 1:1 aircraft replica for static display into a 100% nonprofit aviation museum ? Thank you.

C'mon. Romania?

Folks in your country may not have a lot of cash, but they are smart and educated well enough.

No Fine Way at 2020 labour rates, even those prevailing in the less-affluent parts of the world.

What CAN you do instead?

Find a grounded and decaying former Sov bloc or early OTAN ACTUAL aircraft - trainer that was never armed to begin with is good.

Then seek donors to transport it WITHOUT engine, avionics, and such makes it easier. Some were already stripped of those for spares ages ago.

Then you only have to mount, patch, polish, paint. Not meant to ever be "airworthy" again. That's a whole different bankruptcy kit.

And spin a grand tale as to the history, of course.

Not kidding. This is where many of the static display aircraft come from, world-wide.

"Junked" real aircraft, not simulated. And a holder who wants it TF OUT of his turnip patch, airfield, high-rise or or carpark-to-be.

The hard work is already bent to shape and riveted together. Yah don't even need blueprints.

I doubt if you will find someone to build a replica for you as the cost is excessive, then to give it away .....to you or any museum is asking a lot.

Your best served looking at actual aircraft that not airworthy and displaying one of those in some kind of preservation so it doesn't get destroyed over time.
Sure the aircraft maybe not the specific type your looking for, looking for exact types of rare aircraft being that they are rare ups the cost to purchase.

There is a reason they are expensive to maintain in airworthiness fitness, lots of specialized moving parts, parts under stress that wear out.

Look to recyling yards in your country first then other countries second but you will have to have some cash to purchase it and relocate it to your country.

There are many people who look for rare aircraft to restore and there have been some successes and not so great outcomes with money wasted its a expensive area to get involved in.

I was at a World War 1 air show many years ago and one of the aircraft was a beautiful Fokker DVII replica built by a retired airline mechanic according to the original plans. His son told me there was about 7000 hours of time in building it and a museum had hired him to build another for their museum. Didn't ask about price. Unless you find some wealthy person in a very generous mood I doubt you are going to have something like that done for free.

On the other hand I know of a couple of old airplanes sitting in old hangers that will almost certainly never fly again and if you find something like that near Romania you may be able to get one of those very inexpensively. Good luck.

Steve

I was at a World War 1 air show many years ago and one of the aircraft was a beautiful Fokker DVII replica built by a retired airline mechanic according to the original plans. His son told me there was about 7000 hours of time in building it and a museum had hired him to build another for their museum. Didn't ask about price. Unless you find some wealthy person in a very generous mood I doubt you are going to have something like that done for free.

On the other hand I know of a couple of old airplanes sitting in old hangers that will almost certainly never fly again and if you find something like that near Romania you may be able to get one of those very inexpensively. Good luck.

Steve

"Long ago, and far away..." on one of my litle excursions in backwoods People's Ripofflick of China.. where "Gweilo" weren't meant to even be.. I encountered an entire active wing of beautifully polished... MiG 17 aircraft.

We used to say that China operated the world's LARGEST "outdoor museum" of military weapons technology - but called it the active-duty "People's Liberation Army" (PLA Navy, PLA Air Farce).

They have more money now. The "museum" has been upgraded.

Just not by MUCH!

I was at a World War 1 air show many years ago and one of the aircraft was a beautiful Fokker DVII replica built by a retired airline mechanic according to the original plans. ...

The Rhinebeck folks did this, I saw one of these under construction - might have been the same plane, who knows? But it was built around an original power plant, the
airframe was from scratch. They were using long needles made from coat hangers to sew through the wings, top to bottom. Another intersting feature was, I was
watching them try to start the motor using a 'booster magneto" which apparently fires all the jugs at once somehow. Idea being, if you got at least one jug
at just the right spot and fired the plug, the motor would just light off without being propped over. Booster mag is on the instrument panel, hand-cranked.

The one I saw was at the air show in Guntersville in 1994, put on by Frank Ryder. There is a video from the 1992 show on YouTube "Guntersville air show 1992". It was becoming an annual affair until Frank Ryder got killed. The DVII was powered by a Ranger L-440 and the airline mechanic was from Tulsa, OK.

8015210_orig.gif

Japanese did pretty good on this one - though it still set them back a quarter million USD

Just for looks

View attachment 287051View attachment 287052View attachment 287054View attachment 287055

He/she/it wants someone to do it for free.

Methinks the stupid runs strong in that one!

I have one idea he/she/it might be able to afford. Make friends with a local appliance sales place and download some of those scale paper model airplane plans. Scale them up. Total cost, a couple dozen box cutter blades, and about a thousand rolls of cellophane tape!

He/she/it wants someone to do it for free.

Methinks the stupid runs strong in that one!
LOL! You don't know many Romanians, do you?

Far more likely there were a krew joking over a glass of right decent local wines and somebody said:

Have you been following the news? Good grief, are those Americans ever stupid and GULLIBLE!

And then the project was launched:

Let's see how easy it is to wind the fools UP for the amusement of it all!"

QED

Sure got THEIR money's worth out of it on-the-cheap.

You'd have to know Romanians?

:D

Yeah ,and what do you think are the chances of getting a dollar out of anyone on this forum......"troll wastes last gigabit of data left east of the iron curtain begging old yankee scrooges."

Back