What's new
What's new

Repurposing an 8" cast steel valve

Grimblina

Plastic
We replaced this giant valve on our buildings sprinkler system today. The building is over 100 yrs old and we think the valve is the same age. Im not sure of the quality of the casting. I feel like I could take it apart, clean it up, do some machining/scraping and use it for SOMETHING. I'm just not sure what. I want to get suggestions before I send it to the scrap yard. I considered using the top portion for some kind of vice until we destroyed the acme thread by dropping it.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Perhaps this will help.

wd40.jpg

Sorry about that. Seriously though, I don't think what you have is worth re-engineering. It may be cool to look at but not worth investing a lot of time or energy into a project just to use it for something. Just my opinion. I hate to throw things away myself.

I could use the valve in my irrigation system. No, actually I can’t. The river’s dried up…

L7

I know a company in Oklahoma that reconditions valves and has yards full of old ones of all makes, designs and sizes. Industries often need to replace valves, just as you did, and there may be companies in your area that also do valve remanufacturing and would like to have that one.

I know a company in Oklahoma that reconditions valves and has yards full of old ones of all makes, designs and sizes. Industries often need to replace valves, just as you did, and there may be companies in your area that also do valve remanufacturing and would like to have that one.

Tons of them. Who are you thinking of?

Tons of them. Who are you thinking of?

I had some contact with J&S Valve a few years back and it was interesting learning about the business. Some valves are obsolete and don't have a drop-in replacement so it's a benefit to have an alternate that can be rebuilt and swapped without taking down production for the whole rebuild time.

Back to the title of the post, other than the nuclear industry, has anyone ever seen a cast steel valve? Most large diameter valves are cast iron.

jack vines, who once worked in a foundry and had to learn the difference.

You should look up the Texas medium joke between Stalin, Roosevelt and Churchill at a meeting, seriously funny sending giant condoms to Russia stamped “ Texas medium “
Mark

Back